Considering the Dyna-Glo offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

John Goostree

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Las Vegas
I am considering purchasing this smoker:

Looking for reviews on this smoker from anyone who has purchased/used one. I would also be interested in any alternatives someone might suggest that is in a similar price range. Thanks.

I started out on a char-griller duo which is somewhat similar. It put out some good food, but it also required a lot of babysitting, mods, and fuel. I will admit it was fun to learn on, and although I haven't used it in years. I still have it in my backyard.

Chris

I recommend using it a couple of times to make sure what mods are needed. The Dyna-Glo may not need any. On mine I had to seal it up with a gasket rope, extend the chimney down to grate level, and flip the drip pan over to create a make-shift baffle. I didn't use splits only charcoal and wood chunks - since I was just starting out and thought it'd be easier learning curve. I'd say I used about a bag and a half of KBB for a pork butt(18 pound bags). I should also mention I started before I found this forum. So I was basically teaching myself - which added some time to my learning curve.

Chris

It was many moons ago, but that's about right. It leaked like a sieve before the gasket seal. Very hard to maintain temps. I really don't want to scare you, or give you the wrong impression. This was just my experience starting out, and although it was a similar smoker - it wasn't the same smoker. Hopefully someone who has one will chime in with their experiences.

Chris

Are you looking for a stick burner or a charcoal smoker? Generally you don't run charcoal in an offset smoker because it is pretty inefficient. Offset smokers should be run with wood.

It'll be a fine stick burner. Though if there is an Academy store near you they have Old Country smokers that are better for the same price.

I love my Bayou Classic stick burner. 250 degrees for hours and no running back and fourth checking on it. I could buy a Lang,Yoder, Jambo or any of the other high end popular stick burners loaded out with all the options but The Bayou Classic works for me. Got a high end 1000 pound custom smoker in the shed. Never use it after I bought the BC. Just my view though. Lots of options out there. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky