Considering a traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

96Romeo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
Hi all! I currently have a propane smoker and am considering switching to a pellet one. I read Jeff's book and it sounded like he had good things to say about traeger. I am looking for opinions etc. How well do they work etc. I am sick of babysitting the masterbuilt propane one I have.

Reactions: JC in GB
My buddy has one of the traegers - lots of issues with it. We were doing a pork butt on it this weekend and it screwed up on him again at about the 10 hour mark. We ended up finishing it in the oven.

My buddy has one of the traegers - lots of issues with it. We were doing a pork butt on it this weekend and it screwed up on him again at about the 10 hour mark. We ended up finishing it in the oven.
Was it a thermostat problem? Or what kind of issue?

I recently did much searching, reading and looking. For me, Pit Boss was the best one.

Reactions: Steff3
I have heard some bad reviews about the Traeger pellet grills. I have heard much more positive reviews about the Green Mountain Grills and Rec Tec grills. If you are going to spend the $$ you may as well spend it on a reliable unit.

JC

does it matter? why spend any money for unreliable?

I have used my rec tec for over 1.5 years and it ahs never faltered at all. used in rain, snow, zero to 100 degree temps...always rock solid.
Had a traeger then a GMG. I wouldn’t take another traeger if it was given to me. The GMG was better but do yourself a favor and get the Rec Tec.
Has there been any issues with the rec tec? How does the thermostat work? Any wildswings that l would have to monitor? Since I am coming from a vertical propane smoker we use water pans. Do you guys in the pellet smokers.

Sorry it posted wrong? Amy problems with the rec tec? How is the thermostat? Any wild swings? Or is it set it and forget it? Also in The smoker I use there is a water pan. Do you use that in your pellet smokers?

Sorry it posted wrong? Amy problems with the rec tec? How is the thermostat? Any wild swings? Or is it set it and forget it? Also in The smoker I use there is a water pan. Do you use that in your pellet smokers?

I don't own a Rec Tec but I have seen a guy with a Rec Tec Bull. That was a solid unit that performed flawlessly. That pit master took first place with ribs he cooked on that Rec Tec Bull. If I was going to spend my $$ on a pellet pooper, I would look at Rec Tec first.

JC :emoji_cat:

No problems with the rec tec. It runs like a rolex watch. It does an incredible job of holding temp I have had no temp swings on long cooks either on a 100 degree day or at 30 degree day. I cant say the same thing about the other 2 I would have swings of over 50 degrees up and down it was like having a stick burner. I have used a water pan and I did not see any difference so I dont use one anymore. I use Lumberjack pellets about 90% of the time and BBQ delight the other 10%. I have gotten great smoke flavor, color and the pellets burn clean with minimal ash.

Get a Rec-Tec. I have a Traeger Pro 22. Its not a bad unit. Only had a few flameouts with it. What is the issue is the PID controller though. It cannot hold temps above 225* with any accuracy. It will swing 20-40 degrees in either direction, usually hotter. My hot and fast stuff is VERY hot and fast. A new decent aftermarket PID is $2-300. Better off just getting a better grill overall to start with.

Get a Rec-Tec. I have a Traeger Pro 22. Its not a bad unit. Only had a few flameouts with it. What is the issue is the PID controller though. It cannot hold temps above 225* with any accuracy. It will swing 20-40 degrees in either direction, usually hotter. My hot and fast stuff is VERY hot and fast. A new decent aftermarket PID is $2-300. Better off just getting a better grill overall to start with.
looks like I am going to save my pennies fora rec Tec. Any id3a where they sell them

Find out here....

Reactions: 96Romeo
Was it a thermostat problem? Or what kind of issue?
He said "controller" but I dont know if he really knew what he was talking about - all I can tell you is that it was smoking ALOT. The temp display wasnt displaying any numbers that he could read - and when he opened the lid up WOOF!!! A big ol fireball and he was hairless on his arms and eyelashes.
He shut if off after that and we put the butts in the oven.

He said "controller" but I dont know if he really knew what he was talking about - all I can tell you is that it was smoking ALOT. The temp display wasnt displaying any numbers that he could read - and when he opened the lid up WOOF!!! A big ol fireball and he was hairless on his arms and eyelashes.
He shut if off after that and we put the butts in the oven.
Rec tec had me at fireball.

Reactions: sandyut
What I hear most of the problems with temps are improper cleaning. I jus bought a 22 pro and so far it has worked for me but I treat it like a German sports car and needs the maintenance. But everyone is different.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky