Coney's with Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
Here in Central NY a favorite hotdog is called a Coney, which is about the same as a White Hot or a Bockwurst. Ever since I started making sausage I’ve been on this quest to capture the taste I remember of the coney from a now long gone local sausage factory.

It’s been a while since I’ve played with this so last Monday while trying to decide what to do with the 6 pounds of ground butt in the frig, I thought it was time to attempt it again. Plus I wanted to try the plastic casings again.

If you have Rytek Kutas’s book, His recipe is very similar to what I’ve been after, but just not it so I won’t bore ya with the ingredients.

I made two mistakes while making these up.

The first mistake was that I ground the celery seed, heck the spice grinder was right there why not. Wrong move, it intensified the celery flavor of the sausage to the point that’s almost all you taste. If you’re going to grind it use less, or don’t grind.

I now call this recipe my Celery Sausage and I hope I can find a few people that like celery cause I still got 4 lbs in the freezer. On a positive note, while chatting with some friends about them, they gave me some good ideas for using it up. I’ll be trying an onion soup with it and maybe some sort of stew.

Mistake Number two, using the plastic casings. There’s something about a dog that doesn’t have a snap when ya bite it, it’s just not right. I’ll be going back to naturals from now on. As far as the plastic’s go, they were fun to try, but they do involve a little more time tying and stripping.  

Heres a little Q-view;

all stuffed and tied;

9fad2899_IMG_0258.jpg

Cooked and ready for the Frig

0b2eaef2_IMG_0261.jpg

And a couple samples, which didn't tast to bad with a good mustard.

6600cbf9_IMG_0270.jpg

Thanks for checking them out, I'll get it right next time.

Man too much celery is hard to recover.

Too much garlic, onion even red pepper I can deal with but Celery, no don't like it a whole lot to begin with.

Good luck on the soup, you can always put it in a jambalaya and just not add celery to the vegetable saute.

Al 

Jambalya and gumbo sounds good too, thanks for the ideas.

I will be happy when you get the "Buffalo Hot Dogs" recipe right.

When we moved from Buffalo to Watertown area nobody was allowed to visit unless they brought hot dogs and kimmelwick rolls.

Have a great day!!!

Craig

They certainly look good Dan, good luck on improving them in the future. There's a lot of trial and error in this hobby as I'm sure we've all experienced.

I hear you on grinding the spices.  I made the same mistake over the weekend with some fresh brats.  I ground the already ground nutmeg and mace.  Now I have egg nog brats! They are edible, but not a favorite.

Is Hofmann still making their franks in that area?  They made a good White Hot as well as a regular frank, and both with skin-on as well as skinless.  My wife's aunt sent us a 10 lb. bag of them the first year we were in Texas, that was almost 15 years ago.

Yup, just found their website and must be they're still in business:

http://www.hofmannsausage.com/home/

in Syracuse, NY

Dad always carried them in his store, bulk, natural casing, 10 lb. boxes, both regular and Snappies.  I checked their zipcode finder, there's a couple places that carry them in Dallas but nothing in Fort Worth.

Yea Pop's Hofmanns is still here, and still cranking out  great dogs and sausage's. Do you remember Meier & Ranz? I always liked there white dog better and that's what I've been trying to copy.

M&R's were called Coneys and Hofmann were Snappys, but people always referred to a white dog as a Coney even today, the snappy moniker never seemed to catch on.

Do ya remember Heid's Pops, there're still here too.

icon_cool.gif

Now your Coney's look awesome there Dan. I only hope that when you come down for the Gathering you'll bring a handfull of them with you. I also hope that your flying onto Jax too. Then we can tell everyone how good they were. JK

Yea Pop's Hofmanns is still here, and still cranking out  great dogs and sausage's. Do you remember Meier & Ranz? I always liked there white dog better and that's what I've been trying to copy.

M&R's were called Coneys and Hofmann were Snappys, but people always referred to a white dog as a Coney even today, the snappy moniker never seemed to catch on.

Do ya remember Heid's Pops, there're still here too.

Wow, M&R is still there, and Heid's... only place to get a Hofdog cooked right!  Another long lost product is Pilgrim regular and Club Franks.. are they still in production still?  Always liked Pilgrims, even tho they were a cheap dog, they had a flavor all their own!

I love a good coney snapper dog.  They still make them in Michigan.  The Dearborn Sausage Co. makes the best ones.  I think you can order them online if you want a control sample.

Here in Central NY a favorite hotdog is called a Coney, which is about the same as a White Hot or a Bockwurst. Ever since I started making sausage I’ve been on this quest to capture the taste I remember of the coney from a now long gone local sausage factory.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky