Coney dogs with homemade sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man that looks good Jeff! Congrats on the ride!

Not a fan of skyline chili myself. I think its the cinnamon/allspice in it. Weird flavor. But I'd bet I would like whatever you made!

Reactions: jcam222
Yum
I hope you didn't eat all three off the plate
I haven't made coney sauce in a long time. I agree in boiling the ground beef was the hardest part to overcome.
I think my next batch will get the motorboat (immersion blender) to further emulsify the meat into the sauce.
Where did you find the konjac powder?
Amazon

Reactions: Fueling Around
Love me some good coney sauce. Koegels are ok, but I grew up on Kowalski dogs, and still get them whenever a friend passes thru the Detroit area. I have a few packs in the freezer but looks like one is coming out shortly.
I’ll have to grab some next biz trip to Detroit area

Man that looks good Jeff! Congrats on the ride!

Not a fan of skyline chili myself. I think its the cinnamon/allspice in it. Weird flavor. But I'd bet I would like whatever you made!
This version is without the Skyline spice adds. Eating some now

I don’t know, and while I’ve had some kowalski’s, coneys, the best damned Chicago style dogs I have ever had (as a 25+ year resident of Illinois and a 5 year resident of Lincoln park (while Gold Coast dogs was doing it right with Vienna Beef (and Mike Royko agreed with me on a neat, sort of drunken night)
The Koegel dogs were just a lot better.
(after the fact, by about a decade, I found out that they made them at their factory on the grounds of the flint airport.
My kids will not eat happily anything but the deer that they shoot with natural casings, but even they say that the flavor profile of Koegels is the best commercially-available dog they’ve ever had.

I don’t know, and while I’ve had some kowalski’s, coneys, the best damned Chicago style dogs I have ever had (as a 25+ year resident of Illinois and a 5 year resident of Lincoln park (while Gold Coast dogs was doing it right with Vienna Beef (and Mike Royko agreed with me on a neat, sort of drunken night)
(after the fact, by about a decade, I found out that they made them at their factory on the grounds of the flint airport.
My kids will not eat happily anything but the deer that they shoot with natural casings, but even they say that the flavor profile of Koegels is the best commercially-available dog they’ve ever had.
I would suggest that the kowawalskis might be a quality dog that’s a bit bolder, so it stands up to the super beefy coney sauce.
On the other hand, the Koegels has a profile that is more “hot dog like” so it doesn’t argue with the fairly aggressive profile of the Chicago dog.
Whatever, they are both pretty good, and knock the heck out of Hebrew National, Nathan’s, and Vienna Beef.

Sorry Jeff, the thread has wandered

I don't know what Vienna Beef was using when I briefly lived in Chicago in early 80's, but I wasn't impressed. Too much toppings.

Mike Ryoko was my favorite newspaper columnist.
My favorite quote from him, "I will never understand what women see in men!"

You raised your children wisely to appreciate good food

You know, for a phenomenal dog (which I have to admit I’ve doctored to smoke as a bastard hot link) the Costco 1/4 lb dogs are good too.
All Beef, artificially low price point as a loss leader.
Costco dogs are my favorite flavor profile. Must be the heavy garlic. The salt level is more than my HBP can handle these days.
They make a phenomenal bagel wrapped dog.

Those look Amazing! I would love to be burping up those three all day long........;)

Not a lot of time or inspiration for cooking here last week but did go to work on developing a coney sauce. I can give you a general idea of my recipe and process. As always I do a little adjusting along the way. I try to capture that. Roughly 3.3 lbs 80/20 ground beef into a pan of 7 cups water, 1/4 cup ketchup( I use no sugar added) 2t franks red hot, 1T Worcestershire, 5T tomato paste , 1 sweet onion very finely minced in food processor, 1T salt, 4t onion powder, 1t black pepper, 1t smoked paprika, 6T dark chili powder , 2T Splenda and 1T ACV. Bring to a boil as you mash and stir the mixture. The meat will disintegrate into the perfect coney texture. I simmered for a good 30-45 minutes reducing. You will see fat rising to the top at times, just stick it in. At the end I used 3/4 t konjac root powder to thicken. Mixed into a little cold water and then into the sauce. It’s my new fav over xanthan for sauces and gravies as it does not get slimy. This not only thickens but completely incorporates the fat into the sauce. No separation even days later. For non keto I imagine you can just use a little corn starch slurry. At the end I did some taste adjusting with a little more salt and sweetener. This is actually when I used the ACV as well. Made a few dogs on toasted Aunt Millie’s keto hot dog buns. All with plenty of coney sauce plus 1) habanero Jack, onion and salsa 2) cheddar, crumbled bacon and scallions and 3) traditional with cheddar, onion and brown mustard. View attachment 646171Sauce is a winner and the texture I’ve always wanted is perfect in this. I’ll be doing a spicy as well as Cincinnati flavor soon. Thanks for looking.
Oh man, those looks delicious! Thanks for sauce recipe, gonna try making it this weekend!

Sorry Jeff , Late again

Great looking dogs, I will take 1 of all three.
But I like a little more ingredients on mine. lol:emoji_sunglasses:

Look great Jeff

David
Growing up we’d get foot long coneys at the local ice cream shop. They were loaded With coney sauce, onions, relish, ketchup , mustard and onion. Still love that combo.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky