Coney dogs with homemade sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Not a lot of time or inspiration for cooking here last week but did go to work on developing a coney sauce. I can give you a general idea of my recipe and process. As always I do a little adjusting along the way. I try to capture that. Roughly 3.3 lbs 80/20 ground beef into a pan of 7 cups water, 1/4 cup ketchup( I use no sugar added) 2t franks red hot, 1T Worcestershire, 5T tomato paste , 1 sweet onion very finely minced in food processor, 1T salt, 4t onion powder, 1t black pepper, 1t smoked paprika, 6T dark chili powder , 2T Splenda and 1T ACV. Bring to a boil as you mash and stir the mixture. The meat will disintegrate into the perfect coney texture. I simmered for a good 30-45 minutes reducing. You will see fat rising to the top at times, just stick it in. At the end I used 3/4 t konjac root powder to thicken. Mixed into a little cold water and then into the sauce. It’s my new fav over xanthan for sauces and gravies as it does not get slimy. This not only thickens but completely incorporates the fat into the sauce. No separation even days later. For non keto I imagine you can just use a little corn starch slurry. At the end I did some taste adjusting with a little more salt and sweetener. This is actually when I used the ACV as well. Made a few dogs on toasted Aunt Millie’s keto hot dog buns. All with plenty of coney sauce plus 1) habanero Jack, onion and salsa 2) cheddar, crumbled bacon and scallions and 3) traditional with cheddar, onion and brown mustard.
54AD56DF-4FE4-4BF9-83E4-5AE162193781.jpeg
Sauce is a winner and the texture I’ve always wanted is perfect in this. I’ll be doing a spicy as well as Cincinnati flavor soon. Thanks for looking.

Wow Jeff that looks and sounds great. Even Joey Chestnut would be proud

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Looks good Jeff . Nice work . I know it's about the sauce , but those dogs look legit . What brand ?

Cincinnati flavor soon.

They've been selling a Cincinnati chili here in the frozen section .
Skyline ? Different , but it grows on ya for sure .

Looks good Jeff . Nice work . I know it's about the sauce , but those dogs look legit . What brand ?

They've been selling a Cincinnati chili here in the frozen section .
Skyline ? Different , but it grows on ya for sure .
Dogs are Koegels from Meijers. These are the chicken ones. I get the beef Vienna and their bigger 1/4 lbs dinner franks too. Like them a lot. I am a Skyline chili fan and my next batch will be this same base recipe with spices adjusted for the Cincinnati style which has a Greek background. Chocolate, cinnamon and allspice make it unique. People either love it or hate it. At $5 a can now I can spend around $15 and make a gallon or more lol.

Reactions: chopsaw
They sound good . They're selling Cleveland Kraut here too . Good stuff .
OK , back to the sauce . The texture does look spot on .

They sound good . They're selling Cleveland Kraut here too . Good stuff .
OK , back to the sauce . The texture does look spot on .
I’ll have to take a pic of some in the bowl. Texture is amazing. First time I ever boiled burger lol

Reactions: chopsaw
Keto Schmeto, diggin' the dogs. I made a homemade hot dog chili years ago that was very good, time to dig that recipe up. I'm with chopsaw chopsaw , those dogs look proper - natural casing = snappy skin. I'll have to see if they're available around here.

Keto Schmeto, diggin' the dogs. I made a homemade hot dog chili years ago that was very good, time to dig that recipe up. I'm with chopsaw chopsaw , those dogs look proper - natural casing = snappy skin. I'll have to see if they're available around here.
Yep these have a great snap on the bite

As an ex Chicago guy, I will freely admit that Koegels dogs beat Vienna beef hands down.
That being said,
I’m not a huge cony dog fan, but flint-style with Koegel’s beef (not cheap chicken dogs like most of the places in the rest of Michigan and all of Indiana)
They make their cony sauce from primarily beef hearts and no beans or filler,which makes for an intensely meaty sauce without a bunch of other stuff.
The problem with coneys in Michigan is they’re stuck on the less than $2.00 price point, and in the non-core areas, the quality deteriorated rapidly.

Not a lot of time or inspiration for cooking here last week but did go to work on developing a coney sauce. I can give you a general idea of my recipe and process. As always I do a little adjusting along the way. I try to capture that. Roughly 3.3 lbs 80/20 ground beef into a pan of 7 cups water, 1/4 cup ketchup( I use no sugar added) 2t franks red hot, 1T Worcestershire, 5T tomato paste , 1 sweet onion very finely minced in food processor, 1T salt, 4t onion powder, 1t black pepper, 1t smoked paprika, 6T dark chili powder , 2T Splenda and 1T ACV. Bring to a boil as you mash and stir the mixture. The meat will disintegrate into the perfect coney texture. I simmered for a good 30-45 minutes reducing. You will see fat rising to the top at times, just stick it in. At the end I used 3/4 t konjac root powder to thicken. Mixed into a little cold water and then into the sauce. It’s my new fav over xanthan for sauces and gravies as it does not get slimy. This not only thickens but completely incorporates the fat into the sauce. No separation even days later. For non keto I imagine you can just use a little corn starch slurry. At the end I did some taste adjusting with a little more salt and sweetener. This is actually when I used the ACV as well. Made a few dogs on toasted Aunt Millie’s keto hot dog buns. All with plenty of coney sauce plus 1) habanero Jack, onion and salsa 2) cheddar, crumbled bacon and scallions and 3) traditional with cheddar, onion and brown mustard. View attachment 646171Sauce is a winner and the texture I’ve always wanted is perfect in this. I’ll be doing a spicy as well as Cincinnati flavor soon. Thanks for looking.
That’s a beautiful plate of dogs

I haven't had a store-bought dog in thirty years Jeff, that'd change for one of yours! A ton of fine work there, looks delish! RAY

Yum
I hope you didn't eat all three off the plate
I haven't made coney sauce in a long time. I agree in boiling the ground beef was the hardest part to overcome.
I think my next batch will get the motorboat (immersion blender) to further emulsify the meat into the sauce.
Where did you find the konjac powder?

Love me some good coney sauce. Koegels are ok, but I grew up on Kowalski dogs, and still get them whenever a friend passes thru the Detroit area. I have a few packs in the freezer but looks like one is coming out shortly.

If there’s something better than koegels, I’m on a mission😎
Not sure where you are in Michigan, but my friend is from Ludington and he can't find the Kowaslki natural casing dogs there, but he was closer to Detroit one trip for whatever reason and found them for me. To me Koegels lack the flavor of Kowalski. Your mileage may vary.

Man Jeff, those dogs look incredible buddy!! I'vew always loved a loaded up dog like that but you've taken it to a whole new level my friend. Excellent job, great presentation, and congrats on a well deserved ride.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky