Concrete Block Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I noticed mold growing on the dirt today. I’m pretty sure it’s due to the fact that it’s getting no air or sunlight during that day. Keeping it moist. Any idea for a solution besides leaving it open when not using it?

Try leaving the air inlets all the way open and the chimney open. in mine though I remove all the metal parts except for the rebar when I'm not using it so that they do not prematurely rust. so that way if it's actually open a little bit it doesn't really matter

I know this thread is a little old and nothing has been posted in a while but I have a question. I am building this smoker and am taking all of the advice I have read here but nobody talks about the thermometers they use. I would like a recommendation. Thanks

I used my Maverick in my cinder block stick burner. One of the probes at grate level attached with a little clip. I use my Inkbird the same way in my current smoker.

I saw a post about mold on the dirt floor above. I would burn mine off every few smokes. I was smoking a lot back then and it would get nasty down below. A few times I had to postpone a cook for a couple of hours to perform that process so I got real good at pulling the meat and adding a few sticks to get a nice mass of coals in the box. Then I'd go back outside after an hour or so and shovel all the coals and sticks straight into the bottom of the pit. I lived backed up to the woods so if I needed a bigger hotter fire - say after 8 or 10 butts, I'd get it good and roaring with deadfall sticks.

Best dang Q I ever produced in my life was on that pit. I think I had 20$ in it, maybe less. When I retire and buy a house back out of the city limits I'm going to build another one.

Thank you for the info on the maverick temperature probes, so far it is working great. Two clipped on the smoker grate, one in the fire box and the last one meat temps.
I also want to thank all that posted on this thread for improvements to the smoker, everything worked out great so far, cooking my first meats today, two big ribs!
0313221638_HDR.jpg
0313221638a_HDR.jpg
0313221638b_HDR.jpg
0313221638.jpg
0313221638c_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 0313221638_HDR.jpg
    0313221638_HDR.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: bauchjw
That's a real deal block cooker!! Can't wait to see what you turn out, so pics are in order...

As for therms, I like the Maverick XR-50, but there are many others out there that do different things...

I have another question, after several smoke I am very happy with the temps, smoke and everything else. I do have one issue, the blocks on the fire box have separated a little, making it hard to control venting. I want to use some adhesive to secure the blocks together. Anyone have any segeations of a brand?

I have another question, after several smoke I am very happy with the temps, smoke and everything else. I do have one issue, the blocks on the fire box have separated a little, making it hard to control venting. I want to use some adhesive to secure the blocks together. Anyone have any segeations of a brand?
Mortar. Mason them up.

Reactions: smokerjim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky