COMPLETELY de-railed because I started looking for a something in the shop...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
So I've been putting off cleaning out a 10x12 storage building and re-setting it as a small workshop for a few months. I absolutely DREADED it!

So a little over a week ago, I went out and started digging around for a pair of welding gloves I KNEW was out there SOMEWHERE and before I knew it...

junk1.jpg

junk2.jpg

junk3.jpg

...and that doesn't include the TWO 5-gal buckets of assorted hammers, TWO 5-gal bucket of small items (most of which I haven't a CLUE what it is!), assorted (larger and usable) pieces of plywood we'd saved from various projects, etc.

See that table-full of MOSTLY pipe wrenches? In the 40+ years we were married, I never even ONCE saw hubs use a pipe wrench, yet there they are!

Not ONE of the circ or jigsaws on the porch works, BTW.

Anyway, looks like this is my current "iron in the fire" so to speak.

As for the welding gloves I was LOOKING for when all this started...take a wild guess! :emoji_face_palm:

I'd like to see a better picture of the hand plane and the hand saws . Left side of the second pic . The electric saws don't work probably because the brushes are corroded to the commutator . Should be a " plug " on the side of the motor that unscrews . You can check and see if the brushes are seized .

So I've been putting off cleaning out a 10x12 storage building and re-setting it as a small workshop for a few months. I absolutely DREADED it!

So a little over a week ago, I went out and started digging around for a pair of welding gloves I KNEW was out there SOMEWHERE and before I knew it...

See that table-full of MOSTLY pipe wrenches? In the 40+ years we were married, I never even ONCE saw hubs use a pipe wrench, yet there they are!
The pipe wrenches do look used, so someone used them.

I have a similar pile of skill saws, most have wire nuts on the cord to fix where I cut the cord being in a rush. I get it.

I'd like to see a better picture of the hand plane and the hand saws . Left side of the second pic . The electric saws don't work probably because the brushes are corroded to the commutator . Should be a " plug " on the side of the motor that unscrews . You can check and see if the brushes are seized .

The hand plane is a Stanley, but the handle is broken horizontally...
planer-saws.jpg

The hand saw in the front appears to say "Sandvik 271" on the blade...there are no markings that I can see on the one in the rear.
saw.jpg

I have NO idea how old they are. They belonged to my Mom's brother-in-law (John) and she gave them to hubs after he passed.

The hand plane is a Stanley, but the handle is broken horizontally...
Should be a number on the plane . I'll have to look at mine and refresh my memory . Some of the older Stanley plans bring good money .
The hand saw in the front appears to say "Sandvik 271" on the blade...
That's a Swedish made saw . Good quality . I think they stopped making them sometime in the 80's . That looks like it has the Beech laminated handle with the dragon carvings . Might be a rip saw looking at the width of the blade . Hard to tell though . I would clean those and do some research . Even the other saw . Don't go crazy on the cleaning . especially with the plane . You need to find a number on that . Let me think on it . been awhile since I messed with any of it .

Reactions: SherryT

View attachment 657052

View attachment 657053

View attachment 657054

...and that doesn't include the TWO 5-gal buckets of assorted hammers, TWO 5-gal bucket of small items (most of which I haven't a CLUE what it is!), assorted (larger and usable) pieces of plywood we'd saved from various projects, etc.

Not ONE of the circ or jigsaws on the porch works, BTW.

Anyway, looks like this is my current "iron in the fire" so to speak.

As for the welding gloves I was LOOKING for when all this started...take a wild guess! :emoji_face_palm:
Doh! I feel your pain.

Spent almost 6 hours today filling a 15yd dumpster with trash, junk, and more trash/junk furniture left from an eviction on my rental property.

Still have at least 5 giant trash bags worth of crap to throw out from the house but today was a major step towards getting to where I can start repairs, paint, and more. This month is going to be busy and hope I can relist and get a tenant in by April'ish.

Keep at it, you got this :D

Well I will be building a storage shed this spring. Gonn a try and make it 12'X16'. We scored a teardown on an old 30' X50' X14' high storage building. Treated wood and old galvalum in 14' and 16' lengths. Will also bring some to the deer club to build a new double bay skinning shed so we can clean two deer at the same time.
Material wise, that's about $4k in metal roofing (at today's price new) and 2.5-3K in treated lumber. Not to mention 300-350ft. or 12ga. romex wire...

I'm certain before too long I'll be in your shoes....dreading cleaning it! LOL!

• Love
Doh! I feel your pain.

Spent almost 6 hours today filling a 15yd dumpster with trash, junk, and more trash/junk furniture left from an eviction on my rental property.

Still have at least 5 giant trash bags worth of crap to throw out from the house but today was a major step towards getting to where I can start repairs, paint, and more. This month is going to be busy and hope I can relist and get a tenant in by April'ish.

Keep at it, you got this :D

I hear ya! I spent a few years managing apartments and had to clean, paint, repair the unit when a tenant moved out. Most weren't bad, but occasionally...HOLY CRAP!

Reactions: tallbm
Well I will be building a storage shed this spring. Gonn a try and make it 12'X16'. We scored a teardown on an old 30' X50' X14' high storage building. Treated wood and old galvalum in 14' and 16' lengths. Will also bring some to the deer club to build a new double bay skinning shed so we can clean two deer at the same time.
Material wise, that's about $4k in metal roofing (at today's price new) and 2.5-3K in treated lumber. Not to mention 300-350ft. or 12ga. romex wire...

I'm certain before too long I'll be in your shoes....dreading cleaning it! LOL!

MAJOR score!!!

We "almost" had a good score once...one of hub's customers decided she wanted to replace her almost-new galvanized chain link fence with black chain link fence "so it would match their neighbor's fence" :emoji_rolling_eyes: and told him he could have all 1000' for free if we'd remove it. I was all WOO HOOOOO, but when he called her to set up a day to remove it, she told him one of the installers offered her $500 for it, so, as you might imagine, that was that!

My WOO HOO turned into BOO HOO right quick.

I have a pair each of the Sandvik 280 and Disston D-95 hand saws. If they aren't kinked (bent in the middle) they could have some decent resale value to someone that knows how to use one, maybe $100 each or better. Of course folks only use power tools these days, gone are the times a man had to know how to cut a pencil line in half. I did. RAY

Reactions: SherryT and chopsaw
Looking at those pictures brings back many memories. My father was a woodworker who liked to make furniture and when he passed away in 2016, the task of cleaning out his shop fell to me. I knew he had a lot of stuff, I just didn't realize how much. I kept most of his hand tools and some of his power tools, but I had to let a lot of it go. It was a tough decision, but we were selling his house and I simply didn't have the room to keep it all...

BTW Sherry, did you find that 10mm socket?🤣

Also Sherry... if you find that special spot we all have one... you know the place that I'll put this here, that way I'll know just where it's at... let me know. I have alot of stuff there!

Ryan

Looking at those pictures brings back many memories. My father was a woodworker who liked to make furniture and when he passed away in 2016, the task of cleaning out his shop fell to me. I knew he had a lot of stuff, I just didn't realize how much. I kept most of his hand tools and some of his power tools, but I had to let a lot of it go. It was a tough decision, but we were selling his house and I simply didn't have the room to keep it all...

BTW Sherry, did you find that 10mm socket?🤣

That's my dilemma...I simply don't have the room to keep tools I'll never use.

For example, hubs had a set of HVAC manifold gauges and a vacuum pump...I know WHAT they are and their purpose, but as I don't know how to actually USE them, I can't spare the space to store them so they're going to BIL who DOES.

As for that "10mm socket"...hell no! :emoji_rolling_eyes:

The gloves I was looking for aren't exactly "welding" gloves, more like a pair of "broken in" leather gloves with long cuffs. I bought a set of welding gloves, but as they're VERY stiff (so much so that I can barely move my fingers!), I thought I'd wear the new glove on my left hand and the broken-in one on my right (saw a guy on YT suggest that).

Jeez girl, looks like you have some serious garbage picking to do :emoji_laughing: It's taken me a long time to get my brain wrapped around the idea that if it's broken and doesn't work, there's no need to keep it. I do still have the very first power tool I ever bought though. Got it the Summer I was 18 and working on a framing crew. Bought a top shelf circular saw that is now 42 years old and runs as good as it did the day I bought it. It got retired several years ago and now using a different one, but it's kind of a keepsake for me, even though I don't use it.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky