Completed My First Resolution of the New Year

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I do not like the the Maxim Defense Brace when shouldered 'incidentally', it bites into the cheek.
It's gone.
I really like the PDW design for it's compactness, counter balancing weight, ease of deployment and aesthetics. Yep, I admit it just looks cool too.
Perhaps I'll SBR immediately and try Maxim's CCS stock.
That or just stick with the BCM Mod 0 Sopmod stock I originally planned to use.

Cool thread Chile. I grew up with firearms and have always had a deep love for them. My father (Army vet) and my brother were into long arms. Me, not so much. I was big into pistols and long distance shooting. Had a Remington XP-100 bolt action single shot pistol for a while but found that I liked the feel of the Thompson Contender much better. The cool thing about the Thompson was the barrels are interchangeable. You can have one receiver and as many different caliber barrels as you want and change from one caliber to another in a matter of seconds. Got into reloading to save money and had dies for probably 30 different calibers. There is (was??) a company called SSK Industries that made wildcat barrels for the Thompson and I had several of them. Got into shooting Metallic Silhouette and had a ball. You're shooting at 4 different distances, the farthest being 200 meters (220 yards). At that range you were trying to hit and knock down an 80 pound target with no rests and no optic sights. That takes a pistol with a ton of down range energy. After trying several different calibers I hit on a .375 H&H magnum barrel for the Thompson. Man!! You talk about a 200 meter sledge hammer. Suddenly I looked up and had a wife, a couple kids, car payments, house payments, etc and the money wasn't available to play the game any more. Oh well, it was a blast while it lasted. Thanks for starting this up and bringing back some really fond memories my friend.

Robert

Nice Chile!
Not a build, but found a Thompson Center 6.5 Creedmoor late last summer for $350. Could not resist! Took down 2 elk this last fall!
I don't own any TC but read up a bunch on them and would have no problem getting on if it fit what I needed to do.
Congrats on the 2 elk! I'd love to bag one and I'm working on my non-lead 6.5CM load that would do the job if I wanted :)

Cool thread Chile. I grew up with firearms and have always had a deep love for them. My father (Army vet) and my brother were into long arms. Me, not so much. I was big into pistols and long distance shooting. Had a Remington XP-100 bolt action single shot pistol for a while but found that I liked the feel of the Thompson Contender much better. The cool thing about the Thompson was the barrels are interchangeable. You can have one receiver and as many different caliber barrels as you want and change from one caliber to another in a matter of seconds. Got into reloading to save money and had dies for probably 30 different calibers. There is (was??) a company called SSK Industries that made wildcat barrels for the Thompson and I had several of them. Got into shooting Metallic Silhouette and had a ball. You're shooting at 4 different distances, the farthest being 200 meters (220 yards). At that range you were trying to hit and knock down an 80 pound target with no rests and no optic sights. That takes a pistol with a ton of down range energy. After trying several different calibers I hit on a .375 H&H magnum barrel for the Thompson. Man!! You talk about a 200 meter sledge hammer. Suddenly I looked up and had a wife, a couple kids, car payments, house payments, etc and the money wasn't available to play the game any more. Oh well, it was a blast while it lasted. Thanks for starting this up and bringing back some really fond memories my friend.

Robert

Sounds super awesome about the TC pistols! I looked into those as well years ago when I discovered them. Firing rifle cartridges from a pistol config seems super interesting!

I reload as well but it never saved me any money hahaha. It HAS allowed me to be able to shoot, develop super accurate loads, and hunt with no restrictions on the ammo side of things. Every few years when things go crazy in the the world or fearmongering kicks into overdrive, components get hard to come buy but I just restock during the lulls in between.

Switching over to TAC powder now since it is more widely available and less expensive for 5.56, 308, and some other applicable calibers I hunt with.
My mil surplus W846 powder wont last forever and I can't ever find it these days (or similar BLC2) so makes sense for me to do the swap sooner rather than later. Ive noticed that Ramshot powders have always been more readily available than others during hard times.

I really eyeballed the 375 H&H for the "big" rifle I would want to have. These days I'm eyeballing the 375 Ruger. In either case I don't have a real purpose for them so they can wait. Hell I haven't even taken any meat with my 6.5CM or 308 since I got them. No need to buy a 375 of any kind unless I find a crazy deal.

I've had a 30-06 forever now so didn't have a real need for a 308. Once I found a great deal on a 308 with all the features I wanted, it was a no brainer to move to the caliber especially since it's a NATO supported caliber.

I should get back to hunting regularly here in 2022. I have some time to finish my load development before hunting season kicks back in and I swear I plan to go get some pigs while its still cool haha :D

The Maxim Defense CQB/PDW brace is gone.
I'm going to reverse course and SBR immediately.

And I'm going to try B5 Systems Coyote Brown and Magpul Coyote Tan on Aero's FDE.
B5 stock, grip and rail covers, Magpul mags and I may even get the LPK and ejector port cover Cerakoted in Coyote Brown.

Reactions: tallbm
The Maxim Defense CQB/PDW brace is gone.
I'm going to reverse course and SBR immediately.

And I'm going to try B5 Systems Coyote Brown and Magpul Coyote Tan on Aero's FDE.
B5 stock, grip and rail covers, Magpul mags and I may even get the LPK and ejector port cover Cerakoted in Coyote Brown.
Big fan of coyote tan with black accents

Just efiled the form1, now the wait begins.
Hopefully it won't be long with the new system. I've seen some as short as a few days, 2 weeks to 21 days seems the norm now. Hopefully that stupid "random" fbi background check delay doesn't strike again. Last time I had to get a congressional inquiry to lube things up.

Hopefully it won't be long with the new system. I've seen some as short as a few days, 2 weeks to 21 days seems the norm now. Hopefully that stupid "random" fbi background check delay doesn't strike again. Last time I had to get a congressional inquiry to lube things up.
My last form1 took 22 days.

That's really a great product. Is it a total DIY project?
Here I am still struggling with my 2022 goals. Life really sucks without goals.

Any note on how to stay focused on your goals when you have 2 kids, lol?
I built the Lower, sourced all but the Upper as individual parts.
ARs are as easy as Legos, except for the lower with its roll pins, springs and detents.

I have a wife and three kids, not an issue... I know how to be selfish :emoji_imp: in order to follow a project through.
They get theirs and I get mine.

chilerelleno chilerelleno and everyone else here, if you notice any H4350 powder online anywhere, that is not an arm and a leg, I could sure use some to work up a new load for my 6.5CM.

I was able to score enough Ramshot TAC to switch my .223/5.56 and .308 loads over since Ramshot powder is way more available during hard times, is priced better, and TAC performs well.

If I can score about 4 pounds of H4350 then I'm set... until I get another caliber that I have to load for and do not already have the powder to do so lol.

• Sad
Reactions: chilerelleno
chilerelleno chilerelleno and everyone else here, if you notice any H4350 powder online anywhere, that is not an arm and a leg, I could sure use some to work up a new load for my 6.5CM.

I was able to score enough Ramshot TAC to switch my .223/5.56 and .308 loads over since Ramshot powder is way more available during hard times, is priced better, and TAC performs well.

If I can score about 4 pounds of H4350 then I'm set... until I get another caliber that I have to load for and do not already have the powder to do so lol.
Good luck with that.

• Haha
Reactions: tallbm
Form 1 eFiled SBR 02/14 Approved 03/14

VTVZGeGl.jpg
Rm18VCRl.jpg
CPemqeQl.jpg

Aero Precision Complete Barreled Upper, 5.56 / 10.5", threaded, FDE
Aero Precision Stripped Enhanced Lower, FDE
Aero Precision Receiver Extension, Milspec
Aero Precision H3 Carbine Buffer
Toolcraft Premium BCG, 5.56, Nickel Boron
BCM Gunfighter charging handle, medium latch
BCM PNT trigger group
BCM LPK
BCM GUNFIGHTER QD End Plate
Strike Industries AR-15 Anti-Walk Pins
B5 Systems SopMod Stock, Coyote Brown
B5 Systems Type 23 pistol grip, Coyote Brown
B5 Systems MLok Rail Covers, Coyote Brown
Streamlight TLR-1 HL, Dark Earth Brown
Troy Industries Front / Rear Folding Battle Sights, FDE
Noveske KX3 Flaming Pig Flash Suppressor - 1/2x28

Last edited:
Reactions: pineywoods
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky