Complete Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin' hawkeye

Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Hey there. I am a complete and total newbie to smoking meats. I have a friend who smokes and have been fortunate enough to be able to comsume a lot of his wonderful food. My beautiful wife bought a smoker for me for Christmas. It is the Char-Griller Smoker Pro. It is horizontal and has an off-set fire box. I am trying to read up as much as I can before I take it out on it's maiden voyage. I still have a few accessories to get (chimney, meat thermometer, grill cover, etc.), but I am rearing to go. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and getting some great advise. I live in Ankeny, Iowa and work in Quality Control for a major mortgage servicing company. If you want to know anything else about me, just ask.

My name is mike and I go by mctrick,There is a lot of knowledge in all of the forums and its all for just asking. I live in Omaha, Nebraska and only been on forum for 3 weeks. welcome

Welcome aboard Hawkeye glad your here. Be sure to season that smoker before you cook on it. Check out jeffs 5 day e-course its loaded with great info.

Thanks mctrick & msmith. I already started the e-course. Should receive the second day's entry today. Looking forward to getting to it, but want to do it right!

Welcome to SMF Smokin' Hawkeye!!! Sounds like your almost too excited. Nah, couldn't happen. ;) You have definately found the place to help you get started. I look forward to reading about your experiences in the forum as you progress along.

Good Luck!

Welcome aboard the SMF Smokin' Hawkeye! I myself use a Char-Griller with side firebox. Like msmith said, be sure and season the griller before you use it. I set my thermometer in my oven and then mounted it with 225* pointing straight up so I can see it from a distance. Also I've placed ceramic briq's on the grillers lower charcoal rack dense at the firebox opening and opening up more and more as you get away from the firebox. You can get a bag of 53 for about $10 at Lowes. I set the lower rack on the 2nd setting and put a pie tin with about 1/2 beer and 1/2 water in front of firebox opening. The heat seems to distribute throughout more evenly. I use mostly cherrywood for fuel with pretty much a constant fire next to the intake and moving the coals towards the opening of the smoker as they burn down.

Best wishes and good luck
pyro

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky