Collagen question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mosparky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 11, 2015
St. Louis area, Missouri
I'm getting close to ready to stuff my own sausages at home. Breakfast links are high on the list as they will help getting the she-beast on board with this new interest.
In order to seal the deal, I'd like to make them look as much like store bought as possible, that means small diameter (15-17mm). I've looked everywhere I can think of and everything I find in the 15-17mm range is mohogany colored for snack sticks. Smallest clear casing I find is 19 mm. A bit large to gain immediate acceptance.
I have a hard time accepting the ones the commercial manufacturers are using are proprietary as the all seem to use them, yet they seem to be nowhere the hobbiest can get them.
At some point I hope to gain acceptance of the slightly larger 19 mm and eventually maybe sheep casings but for starters they need to look familiar.
Anyone know where to get 15-17 mm clear casings ?

MS, IMHO a 18/19 mm casing is good for breakfast links.19mm is about 3/4 of an inch in diameter which would be similar in size to a "brown and serve" type sausage.

What are you using to stuff ? I've run them thru the horn no casing , cut to length and freeze . Not pretty , but eat just fine .

Also , if you are trying to " sell " the idea , collagen might not be a good choice .

@ chefjimmyj, Thanks for the link. I might have seen that before but no way am I going to drop that much cash on one size casing nor do I want that much.
@ chopsaw, I will attempt to stuff with one of the water stuffers I have near completion. I might have to give your un-stuffed method a try.

At this rate I'll have to settle for loose pack, patties and she will just have to come around to the larger size links sooner than planned.

I agree about the collagen casings.. as in not using them for this purpose... The smallest sheep casings is what you need for breakfast links... And then they take a little getting used to when stuffing as they tend to blow out a little easier ... You can pinch and twist them at the lengths you want.. or you can use butchers string and tie them at lengths ya want...

Thanks for that link indaswamp. You and chopsaw are quickly talking me into caseless. Think I will try that first and save my money. I may want to revise my stuffer design slightly to accommodate a foot switch of sorts. A simple design gets a bit more elaborate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky