• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

collagen casing smoking

sonyatango

Joined Nov 27, 2010
Can anyone help me figure out why my medium cased sausages are splitting in my smoker.  I am using collagen casing for summer sausage.  The regular summer sausage casings are working fine, but the medium ones are splitting.

uncle_lar

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 4, 2009
I always use fibrous non edible casing on my summer sausage and salami

can you tell us what size casing you are using ?

couple things I can think of is that maybe you are stuffing to tightly. no room for it to expand when it heats

or you are smoking it at too high a temp?

some pictures may help too

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I always use fibrous non edible casing on my summer sausage and salami

can you tell us what size casing you are using ?

couple things I can think of is that maybe you are stuffing to tightly. no room for it to expand when it heats

or you are smoking it at too high a temp?

some pictures may help too
Wish I could help you, but so far I have never "stuffed" anything in a casing. I prefer no casings, so I can get more smoke to the meat.

I'm not saying I never will stuff my summer sausage, but since it's so easy to "un-stuff" it, I probably won't.

Uncle Lar might be right, but I'm betting somebody will be along that had the same thing happen to them, and knows what causes it.

Luck to ya,

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks