Cold Weather Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

riccasmoker16

Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Hi Folks, this will be my first smoking winter with my WSM. Does anyone have any tips for smoking in the Boston cold weather? I have been smoking ribs, butts, and chicken. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Don't use a water pan and don't cook at temps less than 250°, I prefer 300° because it limits your time outside and the meat will be done more quickly. Either way you will use more fuel cooking in cold weather, so be prepared for that too.

Reactions: riccasmoker16
Great advice. I have to get the gaskets which will help all around. I was wondering about the water pan as well

If wind and cold are an issue, pick up a cheap welder's blanket and some clamps from someplace like Harbor Freight. Wrap the WSM with the blanket and clamp the ends together, leaving enough space for both bottom vent air inflow and exhaust outflow. There's pics here on SMF of guys doing that in deep snow. Evidently works like a charm.

Reactions: riccasmoker16
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky