Cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
Long time BBQer (currently kamado joe, Big Joe), but intreagued by cold smoking. Have seen on posts references to cold smoking accessories using both pellets and “dust”. Looking for recommendations that would work with big joe. Am interested in making my own lox and kippers. Again any advise, comments, and recommendation would be appreciated.

The tray will burn dust and pellets the tube is only for pellets. It also will depend on your elevation. The tube works better in higher elevations.

Chris

I’m in Phoenix (a receint transplant from Colorado) so altitude not much of an issue. Second question, which is better for making lox, pellets or dust?

Dust is generally a cleaner burn, then pellets, but both work just fine.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky