Cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Is it best to light the AMNPS outside and when it gets going place it in the chamber then...just so the torch doesn't heat up the chamber too much.

Hello Oscar

I've used the AMNPS in an offset firebox with great success on cold smokes, without any heat source to create a draft through the CC.  My smoker has a vertical cooking chamber, though, which might help a little bit.  It will help us when we see pictures of your smoker.

You've received good advice already, the only thing I would add is to make sure your vents are all fully open (get as much oxygen to the burner as possible), and make sure your pellets are dry.  The only time I had trouble with my AMNPS going out was earlier this summer when there was very high humidity.  Some more experienced members here suggested putting the pellets in a microwave on high for minute, which I did and fixed the problem.

Let us know how you're doing.

I light mine right in the FB, I just leave the CC door open until it gets going good.  Then I put the cheese in the CC, then close the doors.  If you're going to light it outside of the FB just be careful when you move it.  It gets HOT, and I have the blisters to prove it!

Last edited:
Hi, Here are some photos of my first effort at smoker construction.

The red smoke chamber can be used by itself or with the firebox on the left.

This setup won't win any construction prizes, but it makes a lot of smoke into the firebox, which I hope leaves most off the creosote in that box and not in the red smoke chamber.

The more i look at it the more convinced that smoke generators are not the right answer.

I've just taken some garlic bulbs out of the smoker after about 15hrs and they have plenty of cover, but using the smoke generator instead of the barrel has resulted in less smoke penetration. Looks like it'll be the smoke barrel until the AMNPS arrives on Tuesday.

I'm no expert, but one thing I would try is to make sure that the smoke has an unobstructed path all the way from source to exit.  Your pipes are sagging between the generator and the smoking box, I think that may be creating a trap that is keeping the smoke from moving freely.  One thing you do not want is for the smoke to get 'stale', it should be in constant motion as is moves through the system.  This may also explain why you're having trouble keeping the smoke generator going, as it is using up all of the oxygen in the box because the smoke is trapped in the pipe.

Just a guess, but you may want to give it a try.

You're actually 100% correct. I looked into the top of the smoke gen and it was thick as ever, so I looked into the fire box and couldn't see for smoke, but in the smoke chamber it was coming out of the inlet pipes very laboured. I'll straighten the pipes to remove the sag and see how it goes.  Cheers

You're actually 100% correct. I looked into the top of the smoke gen and it was thick as ever, so I looked into the fire box and couldn't see for smoke, but in the smoke chamber it was coming out of the inlet pipes very laboured. I'll straighten the pipes to remove the sag and see how it goes.  Cheers
Oscar see you are in the rite place and there are some great people on here that will help you.It will not be long and you will be killing every one with your smoked foods .

Dan

I've had a Eureka moment thanks to a forum member 'ScooterMagoo' who showed via YouTube link (click below) how to best light the AMNPS. I went out and bought a heat gun and truly it's the best $39.00 I have ever spent.

I used his method to light my smoking barrel (an Aussie version of the Amaze_tube, but more robust using a much heavier construction). Can be seen here:  

http://shop.aussiebbqsmoke.com/COLD-SMOKER-THE-SMOKING-BARREL_c24.htm  

I lit the barrel once and set it directly in the main chamber and it smoked away with TBS for 5.5hrs. Gone is the acrid smell of the smoke gen at full steam and the capsicums (peppers) I smoked are excellent. Happy happy happy.

ScooterMagoo's YouTube link is here: 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140859/how-i-light-my-amnps-w-video-link and thank you for the info.   Cheers

Cheers Dan. I can't believe the excellence of this forum I'm learning soooo much and even when some of the info given doesn't apply to me it is still good to know. Thank you sincerely to everyone concerned.

Cheers Dan. I can't believe the excellence of this forum I'm learning soooo much and even when some of the info given doesn't apply to me it is still good to know. Thank you sincerely to everyone concerned.
Oscar cheers I had a Aussie over at the house today I was seasoning my new smoker we had a great day drinking beer and enjoying life.Show some pics of your great smoked meat.

Dan 

Hi Dan, I've cold smoked chicken legs for an hour to give them the smoke flavour but haven't smoked any other beef. My smoker is for cold smoking Garlic, Capsicum (Peppers), Himalayan Salt, Cracked Peppercorns and am also dabbling in Almonds.

I sell them online and to six (at present) local shops, as well as at two farmers markets.

These are some of the garlic bulbs which came off this morning.

Above is the Himalayan Salt. By the way I'm not trying to make a sale here...These were photos I had to hand so i used them.

Hi Dave, All is now peaches and cream. Thanks to this forum I've been educated re lighting my pellet barrel and am now using it in the red smoker only. Not a sniff of acrid smoke in sight.

I've put three barrels (16hrs) into it now and each of the three smokes was excellent. Finally all is going a treat.

Cheers Oscar

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky