Cold smoking Pork Breakfest sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cold smoker

Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Wisconsin
I stuffed 25 lbs of pork breakfast sausage this morning. We put them in 1 lb regular sausage casings. I will leave them in the refrigerator till morning and then I want to put them in the smoke house. They have curing salt so I don't need to cook them, and it will always be cooked before we eat it anyway.  I plan to cold smoke for about 24 hours (at around 80 to 100 degrees) I would like to heat them up a little then to firm the sticks up (so I can peel of the casing and just cut slices to fry) . Any suggestions on time and temp I don't want to dry them out or cook them.

Some of the fat on pigs melts at different temps... you might want to adjust your smoker temps so the fat doesn't melt...

Melting point

back fat: 30–40 °C (86–104 °F)

leaf fat: 43–48 °C (109–118 °F)

mixed fat: 36–45 °C (97–113 °F)

Thanks for the info. I have had it in the smoke house now for about 7 hours. The gauge on the smoke house door say's around 100 degrees. So I would say the internal temp must be at around 70 or so. The casings are starting to dry and that means they are taking smoke. I don't know if I am going to heat them or not. I will smoke thru the night and decide in the morning.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky