Cold smoking in an off set smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pit pixie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Southampton England 🇬🇧
Hi All
I have been looking at pellet smoker trays.
I wondered if you could use them in an offset smoker, I have come across the spiral tray where you pour your dust into it, light it using a candle from underneath and then remove.

My question would be could you use the chamber of the offset to stand the dust tray and meat in which effectively makes it a cold smoker??

I do all my cold smoking using a pellet tube in either my turned off pellet smoker or my offset depending on the size of whatever I'm smoking. If you go that route just make sure you have all the vents wide open and you will be good to go. I smoke my bacon in 2 separate smokes 6hr per day resting uncovered in the fridge in between

Well it's easier in regards to not having to babysit a tiny fire for several hours or keep an eye on meat temps. Both methods have there merits though. I prefer the flavor and texture of cold smoking. Others prefer warm/hot smoke

When cold smoking just make sure you used a safe amount of cure #1 that others have already helped point you in the right direction

I think I am going to have to get a spiral dust tray and give that ago then.

Once I taste this second lot I have just completed I think I will definitely give this method ago.

Thank you mate

Reactions: TNJAKE
I love smoked cheese!
I always wondered how they done it without melting the cheese 😂😂
Then I found out about cold smoking!
Oh the possibilitys

Before you buy the pellet tray, how big is your smoker? For larger volume smokers a tube is recommended for more smoke.
I use a tube in my 36cu.ft. smokehouse. And I also cold smoke my bacon. I usually go 4 nights; 12 hours per night with a rest in the fridge in between. I cold smoke at night....higher humidity and lower temperatures...both are much better for cold smoking.

Ok so I think I am starting to understand a little better.
Cold smoke is below anything below appx 80°f?
I have been trying to get that temp with hot coals.
I only have a small cheap smoker, big enough to fit a 2kg belly pork and a 1.2kg chicken in.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky