Cold Smoking for a Dollar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JMcGraw47

Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
As I wait for cooler weather and prepare for my first attempt at breakfast sausage I have researched and tried different methods at passive/convection smoke generators. The bag of apple wood pellets I thought would smolder did not without some assisted air flow or placing the Smoker Box on top of burning coals. Even reducing the pellets to there original state as a wood dust did not help.
While watching YouTube reviews of different smoke generators I found the solution for just $1. A metal strainer from the dollar store.

Attachments

• SmokerBox.jpg
    SmokerBox.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 104
  • $1 Smoker.jpg
    $1 Smoker.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 108
  • $1_VortexGen.jpg
    $1_VortexGen.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 111
  • $30 Smoker.jpg
    $30 Smoker.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 107
Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

How do you keep it from burning up the pellets too quickly or burning both ways once you torch it?

Where do you live, your altitude could be affecting the burn.... Putting your location in your profile helps members to help you....

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

How do you keep it from burning up the pellets too quickly or burning both ways once you torch it?

Could not get the apple wood pellets to burn like I wanted without having dust as the major ingredient, as long as there is no flame they slowly smolder for about 2 hours.

Last edited:
breakfast sausage aren't usually smoked , unless your talking about link/rope sausage ?
Down here in Tennessee ground sausage smoked in muslin is a holiday tradition for old school farmers, but with the digital age taking over it is getting rare!

I do fassets breakfast sausage,,, add cure and smoke for 3-4 hours in apple wood,,, very good stuff.

Try micro waving the pellets for 30-45 sec they may have some moisture in them and then light and make sure they burn for a good 10 min before putting them in your smoker. Good luck and let us know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky