• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cold smokers

bigal80ak

Joined May 4, 2020
I was wondering if there's any pellet cold smokers?
my dad has a cold smoker master built seems to leak quite a bit of smoke.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
You mean a store bought unit dedicated for cold smoking?
As far as a smoker leaking. It can be sealed up if it is too bad.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I've seen more smoke generators that convert existing smokers to cold smokers than I have a dedicated cold smoker. There are some dandy plans for building a permanent cold smoker in your backyard, one friend built a plywood one that breaks down and stores flat. I've seen some people use a large moving box, they are $3 or $4 at Home depot.

My ideal cold smoker is my drum smoker. It's 40" tall, slightly taller than a 55 gallon model, has excellent draw and draft, and a lot of volume... which is critical when using a pellet generator. It has a hanging rack for sausage, bacon, ham etc., and a regular cooking grate. With the hanging option I've never come close to filling it to capacity. I can use a pellet or sawdust generator.
KHSbrqN.jpg
Hv0Rsm7.jpg
When I use a pellet generator, I can even block the lid open in order to maintain a near perfect flow of smoke. Cold smoking is all about quality and delivery of smoke.
WExKPF6.jpg

Second in line is my Mini WSM. It can hold a slab of bacon or a shoulder ham, but it excels for smoked cheese and butter when combined with a sawdust smoke generator. Hands down the best combination I've used in over 40 years of experimenting. And it's so portable I can easily follow the shade, or hide from the wind for the 4 or 5 hours of smoking time I use for cheese. The photo below is 4# of cheese, but it will hold 6#.
PMNgfCv.jpg
0Jagd6v.jpg

Last edited:

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Just seal it up.
Otherwise, A-Maze-N, pellet tubes or tray will make any enclosed space into a cold smoker using pellets.

1MoreFord

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 4, 2020
The Savannah Stoker controller offers a fan only setting for cold smoking to provide convection flow for use with a smoke generator.

IIRC there is a factory PG that offers this option too.

2008RN

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 4, 2018
I agree with SmokinEdge, the A-Maze-N smokers are great for cold smoking. I get about a 5-7 degree increase from ambient temps. I prefer the the tube smokers. I use them both in the Yoder and my Fridge smoker.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.