Cold Smoker element replacement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AdashT

Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
The element seems to have died in my cold smoker. Has anyone found a source for replacement elements?

What are your temperature ranges for cold smoking?

You can cold smoke without any additional heat as long as what your smoking doesn't freeze, or temperature doesn't exceed cold smoking range.i use a trash can for cold smoking bacon. Pellet tray in the bottom.
20200322_183535.jpg
20200322_183535.jpg

Reactions: AdashT and MJB05615
Mine went bad earlier this year, after 7 years or so, maybe 6 or 8 years lol. I couldn't find any replacement elements, so I was able to get a new unit on Home Depot online. They seem to be the only ones that still have them. You may try that. I read a post over the summer that said once the chips in the Cold Smoker start burning, turn it off, and the chips will continue to burn for quite a while. Then when they stop burning, add more chips and turn back on, etc. Until I read that post, I just left it on for the entire smoke, refilling it every hour or 2. This new method will make the unit last longer I believe. But you'll have to find a replacement first.
bill ace 350 bill ace 350 's trash can idea above is great for cold smoking and a great idea too. Some on here also use the mailbox mod with amnps tray for cold smoking. A good backup if you cannot find a replacement Cold Smoke attachment.

Reactions: AdashT and tallbm
The element seems to have died in my cold smoker. Has anyone found a source for replacement elements?

Hi there and welcome!
What kind of cold smoker is it?

Many of us electric smoker guys cold smoke using the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray or tube. The tray produces perfect smoke for up to 12 hours with no feeding or messing with it. The tube does like 3 hours and can produce heavier smoke.

Here is what the tray looks like while its going. You fill for as long as you want smoke to apply (full gives 12 hrs 1 end lit), light 1 end (or 2 ends) and let it flame for 10 min then blow it out.
(image from internet)
d9536d3705408b3393e35005811056.jpg

It's awesome and care free! Also a bag of pellets lasts FOREVER!!!

Many of us make a "Mailbox Mod" to put the AMPNS into it, where u can make the mailbox mod anyway you like and hook it to the body of your cold smoker. Also it doesnt have to be a mailbox just something that gets the job done and doesnt burn down:
(image from internet)
ad0df5c97b7abfb29bafd91a5ee8a0fa.jpg

I hope this gives you some ideas on what you can do to replace the smoke generation and possible keep the body of your cold smoker

What are your temperature ranges for cold smoking?

You can cold smoke without any additional heat as long as what your smoking doesn't freeze, or temperature doesn't exceed cold smoking range.i use a trash can for cold smoking bacon. Pellet tray in the bottom.View attachment 470945View attachment 470945
The pictures look awesome!

I was referring to the Masterbuilt 20070112 Cold Smoker attachment. Sorry if I wasn't clear! I've actually managed to smoke cheese during the summer in my MES30 in south central Louisiana using it! (and several frozen gallon jugs of water!)

Mine went bad earlier this year, after 7 years or so, maybe 6 or 8 years lol. I couldn't find any replacement elements, so I was able to get a new unit on Home Depot online. They seem to be the only ones that still have them. You may try that. I read a post over the summer that said once the chips in the Cold Smoker start burning, turn it off, and the chips will continue to burn for quite a while. Then when they stop burning, add more chips and turn back on, etc. Until I read that post, I just left it on for the entire smoke, refilling it every hour or 2. This new method will make the unit last longer I believe. But you'll have to find a replacement first.
bill ace 350 bill ace 350 's trash can idea above is great for cold smoking and a great idea too. Some on here also use the mailbox mod with amnps tray for cold smoking. A good backup if you cannot find a replacement Cold Smoke attachment.

Mine made it 5 years. 4 years before the light in the switch, and then finally, yesterday, the element. I cheated and lit the chips in the chimney with a torch and let it go that way to provide the smoke, but I'm going to miss the ease of the switched on element.

Hi there and welcome!
What kind of cold smoker is it?

Many of us electric smoker guys cold smoke using the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray or tube. The tray produces perfect smoke for up to 12 hours with no feeding or messing with it. The tube does like 3 hours and can produce heavier smoke.

Here is what the tray looks like while its going. You fill for as long as you want smoke to apply (full gives 12 hrs 1 end lit), light 1 end (or 2 ends) and let it flame for 10 min then blow it out.
(image from internet)
View attachment 471026

It's awesome and care free! Also a bag of pellets lasts FOREVER!!!

Many of us make a "Mailbox Mod" to put the AMPNS into it, where u can make the mailbox mod anyway you like and hook it to the body of your cold smoker. Also it doesnt have to be a mailbox just something that gets the job done and doesnt burn down:
(image from internet)
View attachment 471027

I hope this gives you some ideas on what you can do to replace the smoke generation and possible keep the body of your cold smoker

I looked at the pellet trays and tubes. I have access to an almost endless supply of Pecan chunks, so what ever I replace it with will hopefully be able to manage those.

The tray burns pellets or sawdust for a light low heat cold smoke. Putting a ziplock bag or two of ice on the rear half of the mailbox and rigid/straight vent pipe removes the heat before getting to the Mes.

20180302_132615.jpg
I used to add 3' lengths but just have a coupling to attach to the Mes like the slow smoke attachment.
20190404_120604.jpg

Reactions: AdashT
I looked at the pellet trays and tubes. I have access to an almost endless supply of Pecan chunks, so what ever I replace it with will hopefully be able to manage those.

A little googling turned this up for me from a Q/A on an amazon post for the MES cold smoker attachment here:

" The plate on the back of the unit contains the following information. 120 VAC 1.25 A 150 W 60 Hz "

So as long as you get an element that will fit and run to those specs you should be able to replace it :)

Reactions: AdashT and olaf
A little googling turned this up for me from a Q/A on an amazon post for the MES cold smoker attachment here:

" The plate on the back of the unit contains the following information. 120 VAC 1.25 A 150 W 60 Hz "

So as long as you get an element that will fit and run to those specs you should be able to replace it :)
Yea, I have a picture of that on mine. I was surprised though that Google didn't readily have the information available to me with a part number and place to find it! If I can find a drop in replacement, I will be sure to make that information available.

Yea, I have a picture of that on mine. I was surprised though that Google didn't readily have the information available to me with a part number and place to find it! If I can find a drop in replacement, I will be sure to make that information available.

Did another Google search and found this for $9.99 :)

I assume this is the element. if it's not, I'm sure a drill and a little retrofitting will make this element work for you :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky