Cold Smoked Salmon...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
I was watching "Life Below Zero" awhile back and took this picture...
HA !!! Just found it...
So I thought I'd throw it out there as to "How salmon is cold smoked in Alaska" ....
He had a fan going also, for moving smoke around in the smoke house..

Salmon Cold Smoke.JPG

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Ya..saw that one..between that one and Alaska the last frontier and the last Alaskans they smoke a lot of things...and well seems like usually very little if any seasoning and definitely no cure additive. A lot of on the spot structures made out of what ever is at hand and it seems to work. Not sure what kind of wood they use but that also seems to be what ever is available.

You can cold smoke salmon just like them, little or no salt and definitely no cure. IF you smoke under the same conditions. 30°F out side and 40°F IN the smoker. No issue in the Northern States but them Southern boys gonna need at least salt and with Listeria being common on salmon, Cure is a good idea too...JJ

I'm still waiting for it to cool down enough to smoke some lox!
Been out for a couple of months.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky