Cold smoked bacon...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The dust should work fine.... I remember when..... dust would bust into flame at smoker higher temps... could have been the single wall separation divider in the tray ... I don't know... Anywho.... add all the smoke you want at lower temps then crank up the heat... I'd keep the heat below the fat melt point...
I just made another batch of dust... cob, pit choice and mesquite... I'm trying to save my Alder for salmon... Looks like Todd's gonna get another order in 6 months or so.. 100-100-50 grams.... My 1/2 sheet pan has about 3/4" wet dust on it... should dry really fast...

The dust should work fine.... I remember when..... dust would bust into flame at smoker higher temps... could have been the single wall separation divider in the tray ... I don't know... Anywho.... add all the smoke you want at lower temps then crank up the heat... I'd keep the heat below the fat melt point...
I just made another batch of dust... cob, pit choice and mesquite... I'm trying to save my Alder for salmon... Looks like Todd's gonna get another order in 6 months or so.. 100-100-50 grams.... My 1/2 sheet pan has about 3/4" wet dust on it... should dry really fast...
Dave did you make a post on making the dust? I just put some pellets in a bowl,they puff up fast LOL
Richie

Yes...., but I put the wet pellets in a blender.... DON'T DO THAT..... Makes too much fine dust.... Decant the excess water after they are all broken up.... I put a layer of foil on the sheet pan for easier clean up... I'll take a picture....

..........See the steam ???
Pellet Dust 002.JPG

Dave
Made a batch of dust today. It’s about 50-30-20 cob, apple, and hickory. Couldn’t use the dehydrator because the mats were too porous. The dust would have passed through. This stuff looks awesome. I lit one row in the pellet burner and it went about an hour. I have enough to last me at least a year. Plan to do some bacon and cheese soon. Can’t wait.

Yes...., but I put the wet pellets in a blender.... DON'T DO THAT..... Makes too much fine dust.... Decant the excess water after they are all broken up.... I put a layer of foil on the sheet pan for easier clean up... I'll take a picture....

..........See the steam ???
View attachment 379906
Dave yes I see a trace of steam in the center back!!
Richie

I grabbed a couple large bags of router/planer shavings from a woodworker doing maple cabinets.

I stuff them in my tube hard and 3 ft of tube burns about 5 hours or more.
Nice light smoke and gentle soft flavour.

I made dust, and a tray, and it works, but I don't have my "mailbox" mod done yet as life got in my way.

but it is darned easy to make dust from pellets.

That's almost it.... It's gonna sit in the smoker for a week maybe... It's gotta age like a good steak...
32 hours of smoke and it looks pretty good... I'm keeping 1... skipper of the purse seiner is getting 1... and my neighbor that takes care of my cherry trees and brings me fresh apples is getting 1.... Must be time to head to Costco for more...
The pellet dust and cold smoke sure does a number on pig.... A#1...

Bacon3 11-7.JPG

Bacon3 2 11-7.JPG

Thanks for lookin'.... Dave

Final update.... I weighed the belly... the 3 pieces weighed 8.04#'s.... Original weight was 9.2#'s.....
Total loss is 12.6%.... That concentrates the flavor and tenderizes the meat like an aged steak... I will partially freeze some and slice it tomorrow....

Thanks.... It sure looks good.... Now if it tastes as good as it look, I'll be happy as a

pig in mud.gif

Reactions: robrpb
What are you thinking, Dave? The last time I did bacon, I did an amnps full of pellets waited a day and did another one. After letting it age a couple weeks it tasted good to me.

This was 8 AMNPS trays full of dust... 32 hours smoke.. over 4 days.... I used to smoke bacon.... 1 1/2 rows of pellets per day for 2 days... that's 1# of pellets total...
8 trays @ 80 grams per tray is 1.4 #'s of dust...
I guess the dust adds A LOT more smoke to the meat based on weight...
I "assumed" (stupid me) the wood weight would have something to do with the amount of smoke the meat absorbed....
Now I'm trying to think.... Since the smoke was really thin, how in the hell did the meat absorb so much smoke when only 40% more wood was used....
There's more scientific stuff to this than I figured...
I DO KNOW, when cold smoking, the meat does absorb smoke all the way through the meat... where warm smoking, the smoke is generally only on or near the surface...
I'm thinking.... 4 hours of dust per day, for 2 days will be my next batch... Hell, I couldn't taste the bacon.... only smoke... That is not what I'm looking for...

Reactions: zwiller
Dave, how long of a rest after smoking? Also, did you rest your last batch in smoker like this time?

Last batch sat for 2 or 3 days in the smoker at 35-65 F... It was in the smoker the entire time... When I baked it, I could see smoke all the way through the slice... It was even smoke coloring... Boy, it sure took on the smoke..

Dave. I like your method for making dust. I have a dehydrator and will use it to dry it. Plan to cold smoke some BBB in the near future.

One way to dry out liquids or wet dust could be to use fruit leather trays in your dehydrator.
Use gloves when scrunching up the dried pellet dust to avoid splinters in your finners.

Me being me, I just had to have the optional extra accessories... :oops:

I just smoked up 20 lbs of belly bacon this weekend. This was the first time using dust for me, and your method worked flawlessly. The pellets (Todds) broke up pretty good just using a wooden spoon in the bowl 75% Cherry and 25% sugar maple. Dried out just fine at 250' spread out on a rimmed cookie sheet. Dust burned beautifully for around 4 hours. I burnt just 2 trays but kept MES at 100' They are tucked in back in the refrigerator for a few more days for the smoke to penetrate and age some more. Color and texture is awesome!

Glad it worked out for you... I think the dust is awesome and I'm also thinking of using it for all my smoking....

Reactions: nanuk
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky