Cold smoke over a number of days. WHY??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave from mesa

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 8, 2009
Mesa, az
What is the reason for smoking belly for 5-6 hrs per day for 3-4 days? 

Fist time making bacon and I would like to try cold smoking. Have looked at many ways to smoke, Bear's way and cold smoke. Have decide on cold.

Numerous threads talk about adding smoke for 5-6 hrs over 3-4 days. What is the reason for this rather than just continuously for 15 hrs? 

Do I put the bacon in the refer between days of smoking?   

thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Dirtsailor

Figured that could be a reason but wasn't sure if that was the only reason.

thanks

It also lets you decide how much smoke you want to put on your bacon.

Checking it each day & deciding if you want to go another day.

For me 3 days is too much smoke.

I prefer just 10 hours straight, but I'm retired & don't have any obligations to get in the way!

Al

So best thing to do is smoke (how ever long I want it) let it set uncovered in the refer a few days then taste it. If not enough smoke I can just add more later, right?

Another benefit to the multi day smoke is I think you get a mellower flavor. Having that rest time in between helps mellow the smoke out. I'm not sure that I'd wait 3-4 days before smoking again. The meat starts to firm up and may not take on smoke as good.

It also gives you an opportunity to change smoke flavors adding more depth to the flavor profile.

One of the more important things is letting the meat rest prior to smoking and after. I'm a big fan of letting the meat rest 5 days after curing. Then 5 days after you are done smoking. Both times uncovered in the fridge. This time of year I just hang it in my garage, same temp as my fridge right now.

It's my understanding...  The rest period is to allow for additional drying of the meat to allow for storing without refrigeration..  Some Alaska natives cold smoke on a schedule...   Light the fire.... when it goes out, wait an additional day before relighting... and continue that for a month...

I cold smoke bacon to attempt a recreation of bacon from the 1950's....  As long as the ambient temperature does not rise above 70 F, I do not refer the slab between smokes...

Well decided on 6 more hrs for my first smoke.Total of 12.  Don't know why just a round number.

Thought since it's cold smoking I will try cheese. Bought a Cheddar and a Gouda. I hear that fruit smoke is better for cheese but I'm using hickory for bacon.

Oh well

Hope all comes out well.

thanks

Last edited:
Dave, as you can see there are many different ways to cold smoke and many different reasons for doing it. The most important thing to remember when taking advice on the length of time to smoke any product is knowing the color and density of the smoke being used. When someone tells you, they smoke something for two hours, if you don’t know the color and density of the smoke their advice is of little use.

I smoke belly bacon continually for around three days using a very light thin smoke from a distant fire box. It’s my perception that this allows the smoke to permeate the bacon without having to worry about adding too much smoke at one time.

How was your bacon?

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky