Cold smoke green/fresh ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeybo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
I have two more hours that I need to process and been thinking about doing a traditional country ham (salt/sugar DRY cure for 90 days).

Do y'all cold smoke your hams before or after removing the cure? What about bone rot with dry cure? How to prevent that? Lastly,
What about making a boneless ham so I can cut ham sandwich slices out of it

Never cold smoke without curing salt.
You deal with bone sour by injecting curing pickle all along and around the length of the bones.

Do you have a curing cabinet?

This works really good

Without precise temperature, moisture, time, sugar and salt control, you are flirting with the possibility of food poisoning....
Unfortunately we don't have the numbers of folks who died while this process was being improved and perfected by the "butchers" who practiced making an edible product..
Find a recipe and method that you have analyzed, in depth, for safe food processing practices...
I would search for a USDA method... Skip word of mouth and the internet stuff... Just because some dude made a great tasting ham, he/she may have not given you all the necessary information to make a food safe product....
Do NOT mix and match steps between different methods... You are not smart enough to do that... Take no offense please... Certain steps require a previous step to make it food safe... Switching those steps can be deadly.....

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky