Cold smoke attachment and bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Question. After I smoke, do I cover/wrap to rest for five days or leave open? (I smoked three hours last night and going for four-six tonight)

Leave it open in the fridge for 24 hours to allow any moisture on the the surface to dry and then wrap in plastic wrap or vac pack it. This will ensure that the flavours diffuse into the meat and that everything else in the fridge does not smell too strongly of smoked bacon.

What you are seeing in your cold smoke generator is not unusual after several smokes and it is good that most of it is condensing here rather than in the cooking chamber. It does seem alot to be getting after only one smoke though. I think that Dave may be right about insufficient air flow through the unit. On my cold smoker, so that I don't have to rely on the natural movement of air, I have a small fan in the flue that keeps the air flow constant

To clean the tar from your smoke box and smoke chamber wipe the worst off with paper towels and then wash it with hot soapy water. You should not need to do this often though. The pipes are a little more tricky and you may have to leave them disconnected in a warm place to allow the tar to run out under gravity over time. Helping it using a hot air gun on the outside of the tube will speed this up a little.

What you are seeing in your cold smoke generator is not unusual after several smokes and it is good that most of it is condensing here rather than in the cooking chamber. It does seem alot to be getting after only one smoke though. I think that Dave may be right about insufficient air flow through the unit. On my cold smoker, so that I don't have to rely on the natural movement of air, I have a small fan in the flue that keeps the air flow constant

To clean the tar from your smoke box and smoke chamber wipe the worst off with paper towels and then wash it with hot soapy water. You should not need to do this often though. The pipes are a little more tricky and you may have to leave them disconnected in a warm place to allow the tar to run out under gravity over time. Helping it using a hot air gun on the outside of the tube will speed this up a little.

Thanks Wade.
I need to see how running it empty on max temp for 2.5 hours did for it. It may be easier to brush off then re-evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best thing I ever found that is food grade de-greaser that gets the grease soot and grime is TSP (Trisodium Phospate). Best secret cleaning weapon ever! This is the good stuff they took out dishwashing and laundry detergents and why they don't work as good as they used to. I now use it to clean my coffee maker, shower heads, dishwasher, etc. This is what I used that has pulled all the creosote and soot stains out of the brickwork of my fire place to like-new when I installed an insert wood stove. I was (am) impressed! About any hardware store will carry it.

...That is if you need to.

The best thing I ever found that is food grade de-greaser that gets the grease soot and grime is TSP (Trisodium Phospate). Best secret cleaning weapon ever! This is the good stuff they took out dishwashing and laundry detergents and why they don't work as good as they used to. I now use it to clean my coffee maker, shower heads, dishwasher, etc. This is what I used that has pulled all the creosote and soot stains out of the brickwork of my fire place to like-new when I installed an insert wood stove. I was (am) impressed! About any hardware store will carry it.

...That is if you need to.

Thanks! Fingers crossed it won't be necessary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky