Cold smoke attachment and bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

You see!

DS says cold smoke

Cranky says  cold smoke is 40 F to 70f.

Dave says Cold smoking below 70 deg. F

Bear says 100-130’

It is interesting to note DaveOmak, Crankys (and others claim) “cold smoking allows smoke to penetrate the meat better than hot smoking” yet it takes longer to smoke! Bear says 100-130 accepts smoke better than either Cold or Hot smoking .  All of whom are veteran smokers and full of respectable wisdom (as well as the others in the above list and contributors to this post of course). Even Pops “hot” smokes and probably has smoked more bacon than all of us put together! But there are contradictions.... Which is it? Who/what is the final authority?

Now that fall has hit, it should be easier (for most) to stay below 70’. For you, it doesn’t sound like <70’ is achievable with what you’ve got for ambient temps. It is possible however, to lower your MES smoking chamber a few degrees with some ice in there, or some frozen water bottles.  For those that say they like to “cold” smoke <70’ is going to be a challenge in the summer months, or not smoke it at all then. So… what will it be? Accept a “warmer” smoke or NO BACON AT ALL? By whatever definition- hot, warm or cold… Find out what’s going to work best for YOU and your tastes! Obviously there’s more than one way to skin a cat!

…eww. No… we won’t be smoking that!
You got it---The part I highlighted & underlined.

Everybody has an opinion. Everybody should try all ways & stick with what they like best.

Like I said, On Belly I use Temps between 100° and 130° for 8 to 11 hours, or when my AMNPS runs out of Pellets or Dust. It always has Great color & flavor by then. This is what I call "WARM Smoking".

On CB and BBB, I use about 120° to 190° smoker Temp, and take them to 145° IT. The lower temps are at the beginning to get more smoke time on them.

I believe I remember Pops saying he takes his Belly to 145°, just in case somebody (Sons??) goes in his Fridge & grabs some & eats it without frying it.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with Cold smoking, but it takes at least twice as long to get the same color & flavor.

Bear

Last edited:
Any pics of the bacon? Sounds great.  
icon14.gif

Any pics of the bacon? Sounds great.  
icon14.gif
2d6e2ab468ce51f636f52feba6b1b0e5.jpg
227e41e41eec1a09c52e3ae29e1a1ba1.jpg

Thanks for taking an interest redheelerdog
Ten days in the dry cure.
Five days air drying in the fridge.
Hope to begin smoking tonight or tomorrow night as temps in SWFL permit a cold smoke(s)
Then I have three larger pieces (3-4lb each) in the freezer to get curing. I wanted to test and make mistakes on these 1lb pieces, first

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You got it---The part I highlighted & underlined.

Everybody has an opinion. Everybody should try all ways & stick with what they like best.

Like I said, On Belly I use Temps between 100° and 130° for 8 to 11 hours, or when my AMNPS runs out of Pellets or Dust. It always has Great color & flavor by then. This is what I call "WARM Smoking".

On CB and BBB, I use about 120° to 190° smoker Temp, and take them to 145° IT. The lower temps are at the beginning to get more smoke time on them.

I believe I remember Pops saying he takes his Belly to 145°, just in case somebody (Sons??) goes in his Fridge & grabs some & eats it without frying it.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with Cold smoking, but it takes at least twice as long to get the same color & flavor.

Bear
What Bear said is right on.

All of what has been said works.  I like the cold smoking way for a few reasons, it's what I enjoy doing and how I was first taught back when I was a kid.  Also, when I've tried warm smoking in the past, I didn't care for the way the outer portion of the meat felt when completed.  Now, this does limit me for cold smoking.  I live in Texas, that means my pit temperature could be 100 degrees today without having any fuel in it!   So I start getting really giddy this time of year!  

I have friends that smoke like Bear and I have friends that smoke like I do...  In our family circle, we also have a cousin that smokes his like Pop does, to a "done" internal temperature... Most all of it comes out great tasting and with a good texture.

It all boils down to what one likes and how they want to go with it.  

I sincerely hope we haven't confused the OP to terribly!

OOPS!  Looks like you posted while I was typing.

MDGirlinFL, looks like you're ready to rock for sure!  Looking forward to some finished pics.

Now, one thing we will ALL agree on, sample a slice or 2 for salinity before smoking.

All of what has been said works.  I like the cold smoking way for a few reasons, it's what I enjoy doing and how I was first taught back when I was a kid.  Also, when I've tried warm smoking in the past, I didn't care for the way the outer portion of the meat felt when completed.  Now, this does limit me for cold smoking.  I live in Texas, that means my pit temperature could be 100 degrees today without having any fuel in it!   So I start getting really giddy this time of year!  

I have friends that smoke like Bear and I have friends that smoke like I do...  In our family circle, we also have a cousin that smokes his like Pop does, to a "done" internal temperature... Most all of it comes out great tasting and with a good texture.

Tip----You could always bring your Bellies up here, if it's too Hot down there for Cold Smoking-----31° this morning-----40° now at Noon!!

Bear

OOPS!  Looks like you posted while I was typing.

MDGirlinFL, looks like you're ready to rock for sure!  Looking forward to some finished pics.

Now, one thing we will ALL agree on, sample a slice or 2 for salinity before smoking.

Oops. I have not cut any to test for salinity. It has been out of the cure air drying for 4-5 days. What would I do if it is too salty at this point? Still soak? I rinsed well for 30 minutes. But didn't cut and cook any.

Tip----You could always bring your Bellies up here, if it's too Hot down there for Cold Smoking-----31° this morning-----40° now at Noon!!

Bear

Not confused. Just trying to take it in and process. So many personal preferences. But our highs are only getting into the 80s. I think if I cold smoke in the evening in a couple 3-5 HR sessions it should be good.

Bear
Now that's tempting, not the cool weather, but a chance to hang out in the Bear's Den would be cool!

I'll actually be in Towanda, PA in March.  Can't say why just yet though...

Oops. I have not cut any to test for salinity. It has been out of the cure air drying for 4-5 days. What would I do if it is too salty at this point? Still soak? I rinsed well for 30 minutes. But didn't cut and cook any.

You know, I have no idea what would happen other than having to start the dry over again...  I haven't soaked after the dry.

Bear, JJ, and a couple of others may have a better idea.

Now, serious question, how can one NOT have to try at least a little bit of their homemade bacon?!?!  You're stronger than I am!  
77.gif

You know, I have no idea what would happen other than having to start the dry over again...  I haven't soaked after the dry.

Bear, JJ, and a couple of others may have a better idea.

Now, serious question, how can one NOT have to try at least a little bit of their homemade bacon?!?!  You're stronger than I am!  
77.gif
MDGirlinFL
I agree with CB---I never missed the Salt-Fry Test, but I would imagine you would just have to dry it again, if you ended up having to soak it.

Chances are it won't need soaking. I give mine a Salt-Fry test all the time, and never had to soak any that I used my Tender Quick on.

The Salt-Fry test is just like looking both ways before you cross the street.---Just a Precaution.

It also gives you a chance to see the difference between cured Bacon and Cured & Smoked Bacon.

Bear

Okay...fry test is underway. I sliced off two slivers and they are in the pan. Fingers crossed they are good to go so I can start smoking tomorrow evening, weather permitting.

Okay...fry test is underway. I sliced off two slivers and they are in the pan. Fingers crossed they are good to go so I can start smoking tomorrow evening, weather permitting.

If you rinsed it good, and it's been sitting in the fridge air drying for 4-5 Days, the only way it should be salty is if you used too much salt, so I expect you'll be smoking tomorrow.

Bear

Woohoo, fry test done on the smallest one and not very salty at all. Looking for a good cold smoke window early tomorrow morning and then again in the evening. I'll set up the probe to monitor chamber temp.

Woohoo, fry test done on the smallest one and not very salty at all. Looking for a good cold smoke window early tomorrow morning and then again in the evening. I'll set up the probe to monitor chamber temp.

I'm watching and waiting!!!

I'll post photos of the final product! But smoking and resting I expect to take several more days [emoji]129299[/emoji]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky