Cold Shoulder?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by delta dick, Aug 25, 2008.

1. delta dick

delta dick Newbie

New to smoking, have a Smoking Pro w/ all the mods. Have a 8# butt in it rite now, am using mesquite
    charcoal chunks. Have 2 good temp. gages on the lid, am having a hard time keeping the temp at 250, it don't like to get over 200, with all of the vents wide open. I'm not sure what to do, more charcoal, more hickory chips, or more beer? HELP.

Dick

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Mesquite CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES I assume? You should be using a lump charcoal..more heat/unit of weight. Besides, it's adding another flavor you might not want. But unless you have plain lump available, you need to add more charcoal. Light it first in a chimney, or over a gas burner.

3. If you are have trouble getting up to 250, you might add a few coals and leave the SFB open a couple of minutes to feed the fire a bit.

or

What Rich says...

4. delta dick

delta dick Newbie

Thanks Guys, It is lump, I'll get some more started in the chimney, open the door on the firebox & see what happens.

Dick

5. delta dick

delta dick Newbie

I started more lump in the chimney, opened the door on the sfb & now it is at 250. Am trying to figure out how to add photos to my posts.

Dick