Coffee Rubbed Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Norwester55

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 1, 2018
Oregon
I use Joe Carroll's "Fette Sau" coffee rub on beef quite a bit and was wondering how it'd be on pork. I had a 7 1/2 lb pork shoulder in the freezer and decided to give it a try. Thawed and rubbed yesterday and smoked it about 5 hrs today over pecan at 250. Pulled at 200* and let it rest for 15 minutes. Came out real juicy but that's pork shoulder. Its pretty tasty, I get a little coffee flavor even with plenty of spicy vinegar sauce on a sammich. I'll go a little heavier on the rub next time as I was being a bit cautious not knowing if I was going to like it. I cut the salt back to 1/2 cup in the rub because a full cup was too salty for me but YMMV.

IMG_20190420_112220.jpg

IMG_20190420_171502.jpg

IMG_20190420_175521.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious.

I’m not a coffee guy but the last batch of belly bacon I made I did a few of the chunks with a coffee rub during the curing process, coffee and pork go surprisingly well together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky