Cochinita Pibil (Barbecued Pork) ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
West Liberty, Iowa
I offered to do a brisket or pork butt for a friend's family and they gave me a recipe to try.

This recipe says to smoke a pork butt at 225-275* for 4 hours or until tender. After wrapping and resting for 1/2 hour it will be pulled.

An alternative to smoking is to oven roast to an internal temperature of 170* before wrapping and resting.

I've only done one pork butt before and it took 12 1/2 hours at 225* to get to 200*. Is it possibly to do a pork butt tender enough for pulling in 4 hours?

I offered to do a brisket or pork butt for a friend's family and they gave me a recipe to try.

This recipe says to smoke a pork butt at 225-275* for 4 hours or until tender. After wrapping and resting for 1/2 hour it will be pulled.

An alternative to smoking is to oven roast to an internal temperature of 170* before wrapping and resting.

I've only done one pork butt before and it took 12 1/2 hours at 225* to get to 200*. Is it possibly to do a pork butt tender enough for pulling in 4 hours?
I think the key words here are 4 hrs. or until tender. For me that means 200-205 IT. I don't see how you can do that in 4 hours at even 275.

Last edited:
I agree with Al,there is no way you are going to get to pulling stage in 4 hours unless it is a really small butt. What size butt does the recipe call for?   We have a Kahlua Pork recipe that only uses a 3 # butt and it is done in 4 hours but cooked at 350 not 225

On the TV show "The Next Great American Restaurant" one of the contestents had to serve a siganture dish "cherry coke pulled pork sandwich"; they had three hours to prepare the dish for a large crowd.  The show did not show how they did it but they won the competiton; it was the best dish of the day.  This was not authentic BBQ but their dish won.

Last edited:
On the TV show "The Next Great American Restaurant" one of the contestents had to serve a siganture dish "cherry coke pulled pork sandwich"; they had three hours to prepare the dish for a large crowd.  The show did not show how they did it but they won the competiton; it was the best dish of the day.  This was not authentic BBQ but their dish won.

Maybe they cooked it in a pressure cooker.

You are right to be skeptical, and you know more than whoever wrote that recipe.  4 hours would be some kind of record, and without moist heat I don't think the connective tissue would break down in that time.

Good luck and good smoking!

Keep us up dated and if you can put some q-views with it would love to see how it turn out.

When I was watching, it seemed like they seared chunks on a flat griddle and then transferred them to a pan to be glazed in the cherry coke. What I thought was weird, was that it looked like they used diet instead of regular. Kind of threw me for a loop. Definitely not traditional BBQ, probably tender and good though. 

this is a latin recipe and usually the pork is buried in the ground wrapped in banana leaves and then the coals are put in the pit and covered overnight...........i have never seen it done in 4 hrs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky