Closing Casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinbarrles

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
How does everyone close up the ends of there sausage? I've been tying with twine, but its so tedious tying two knots in between a twist. i know you can use hog rings but seems it would be hard to get them tight enough without the ends slipping out.

Maybe im stuffing to tight and not allowing myself enough room to tie in between and thats causing my trouble. Lets here what you more experienced people are doing.

Thanks,
SB

Depends on the sausage and what I am making. Usually a twist when linking is all it takes. The ends may get a knot in the casing. I will however use twine for some applications. Just try twisting without using butcher string.

Reactions: tallbm
I just twist the link three times in one direction and then with the next link I twist the link three times in the opposite direction...this equates with each link twisted six times....never had a failure in four years making link sausage.....

Reactions: tallbm
For smoke sausages:
I tie a simple overhand knot in the end of the casing while it is on the stuffer horn, then I stuff the casing and make a link about 28" long. I pull about 4" tag end and cut, then put into a plastic bag on ice in a cooler. When it comes time to smoke, I hang the links on the poles in the smokehouse. I can fit 15# per pole; 60# per rack; 120# to fill the smokehouse.

For fresh sausages:
I tie a knot in the end of the casing on the stuffer horn and fill a 15' length of casing with meat paste leaving about 8~10" tag end. I then twist into however long a link suits your fancy. Breakfast links are usually on the short side 4~6" while grilling links are longer....closer to 8" so they fit a bun better. just twist a link, measure off the next one but don't twist it, measure off the third one and twist the same way as you did the first one. Repeat process until the entire coil is twisted, then cut the twists for links...

Last edited:
It depends on the casing and it depends on the sausage.
Twisting is usually good enough to form links.
Twine or a knot in the casing to close the ends.

Maybe this method from Marianski's book will work for you:

tie.JPG

For summer sausage, I was having trouble tying the string on the ends after stuffing. I started using bread twist ties. Not pretty, but effective.

Reactions: pa42phigh
if you are smoking sausages and keeping the smokehouse temp. below 180*, zip ties work just fine. And they are strong! I have hung 4' long andouille links stuffed into beef middles and not one slipped. I did use 2 per link though and ziptied twine to hang the links...

Reactions: kawboy
For fresh sausage or smoking already twisted and cut links, it seem just twisting and cutting would cause it to unravel...am i making sense? Thanks for all your responses.

just twist a link, measure off the next one but don't twist it, measure off the second one and twist the same way as you did the first one.

Yup, that's the easiest way I have found. I think you meant to say "measure off and twist the third one", not second. Essentially, you're twisting every other link.

Out of curiosity, with fibrous summer sausage casings, has anyone ever used the poly bag tape and machine?
At smoker temps I don't think the tape would melt, not sure about the adhesive loosening up. I would still hang with cotton twine but would it would be super fast to be able to just seal up the ends with this stuff like the poly bags for ground meat/sausage :)
LEM-Products-Poly-Bag-Tape-Machine-043-734494900439_image1__91807.1509744628.jpg

For fresh sausage or smoking already twisted and cut links, it seem just twisting and cutting would cause it to unravel...am i making sense? Thanks for all your responses.

If twisted to where the links DO NOT feel super tight or ready to explode then twisted and cut links will be have properly no matter grilling or smoking.

NOW, there is a little try I employ with my sausage links. I stuff them a little loose because I end up grilling them like fresh sausage more than actually getting to smoke the sausage links.
If you stuff a little loose, then grilled links will plump up WITHOUT splitting the casing or exploding because there is room to go. The smoked links may be not be super plump but they eat and usually look just fine... as long as you didn't leave them TOO loose.

The taste is so good no one notices or complains when they eat the links even if there is the occasional limp looking smoked link hahahaha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky