Cleaning?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgruberman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
So Uh... What's the "norm" for cleaning these guys? I'm new to electric smokers so do they never get cleaned so the flavor stays inside or something? A light brush off of the grills? This was after one pork shoulder.

2f59023e8ecf2b4eebe89fd81e8c0405.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Clean the grates each smoke (dishwasher works great if you have one).

Foil the drip tray and water pan and switch the foil out between smokes.

Wipe any loose looking particles off the sides and top so they don't get in your food..

Clean the sensors on the back wall so that your temps don't get crazy on you.

Wipe down the door seal when it looks dirty.

Other than that just leave it alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: daniel j prince

Clean the grates each smoke (dishwasher works great if you have one).

Foil the drip tray and water pan and switch the foil out between smokes.

Wipe any loose looking particles off the sides and top so they don't get in your food..

Clean the sensors on the back wall so that your temps don't get crazy on you.

Wipe down the door seal when it looks dirty.

Other than that just leave it alone.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

And if you have a Window in the door, clean the inside between each smoke---Makes it real easy.

Bear

Last edited:
So Uh... What's the "norm" for cleaning these guys? I'm new to electric smokers so do they never get cleaned so the flavor stays inside or something? A light brush off of the grills? This was after one pork shoulder.

2f59023e8ecf2b4eebe89fd81e8c0405.jpg

If I had a dishwasher I'd put them in after brushing and scraping off the bits of food.  I clean them in the sink occasionally.  Mostly removing food bits and preheating the racks before the next smoke. 

-Kurt

For those of us who don't have a dish washer or are the dish washer try Weber grill cleaner.  If you keep up with the grill cleaning it works wonders. A SOS pad and a little effort and they are clean. I can clean mine After letting them soak with just a simple spray down in about  5 Minn of good scrubbing.  Jted

You think those "non stick" grill mats would work well? I'd hate for them to somehow impede the cooking of the meat

You think those "non stick" grill mats would work well? I'd hate for them to somehow impede the cooking of the meat

I'm not sure what the "Grill Mats" are, but the Mesh "Q-Matz" from Todd, at "A-Maze-N-SMOKER" would not affect the smoke at all.

Bear

I'm not sure what the "Grill Mats" are, but the Mesh "Q-Matz" from Todd, at "A-Maze-N-SMOKER" would not affect the smoke at all.

Bear

Something like this is what I have sitting in the pantry. Haven't used them yet, been sitting there for a year or two... Impulse buy from the fair :)

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Cuisinart-...R765dDBprBSIhv6Qj-tTUBoCxXnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Two different people said two different things so I have mixed emotions now... They don't have mesh or are porous

I bought a few of those open mesh non-stick mats from QVC. They work pretty good and they're easy to clean. We have a utility sink in the laundry room. I soak the mats in a coupla' inches of hot water with some Dawn and then scrub 'em with a plastic bristle brush.

Two different people said two different things so I have mixed emotions now... They don't have mesh or are porous

They will still work, in the sense that they won't melt since they're max temp is 500 degrees but you will see some difference in color on the bottom of whatever you are cooking. This will be due to the mats blocking smoke to that area.

If they aren't meshed or porous, the smoke can't get to the part of the meat that's sitting against the Mat.

That's why the Q-Matz are Meshed---To allow smoke to get through.

Bear

Here's two sticks of sharp cheddar that were smoked on a mat. You can see the hash marks. I don't have any problem with complete exposure to the smoke.
Great Picture Example!!

What kind of a Mat was that?

The Mesh looks bigger than mine.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky