Cleaning surface rust off fire box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
DC Metro - Northern Virginia
Smokers,

I am getting an old off-set (new braunfel) from a friend. It has been neglected to say the least, sat outside uncovered for far too long. The smoker box has significant surface rust. What is the best means for restoring it to it's original beauty?

not knowing the extent of the rust, i would give the smoker a good sanding with course sandpaper and drop down to a finer grit when done. clean all the grit and dust off and get some high temp spray paint and give it a number of coats to protect it.

Sander, disc grinder, wire wheel.... any of those will do a good job for you. Personally I like using sander to start then move on to a fine grit wet sand paper - just make sure you wear a good mask if you dry sand it. Rust is one of the things that lungs can't recover from very well.

What I've done is coated the exterior of the surface rusted grill with used motor oil, and let it set a few days, took a steel brush and scrubbed it using more oil as a lube/solvent, finally cleanup with kerosene to see what kind of pitting I had, rubbed the whole thing with some old crisco/lard...and made a test fire...let the grill get up to temp for a while and then cool.....almost like curing a iron skillet......

worked well for me......

good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky