Cleaning my MES - Let the steam do the work

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dad of four

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Dayton, OH
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but after cooking a butt this weekend, I took an old bath towel and got it almost soaking wet.

I folded it so it was the same size as the cooking rack, put it in the smoker at 275 with the vents closed

After an hour, the steam had worked its magic, and I was able to easily clean the glass with another semi-wet towel

(Or if you are brave, use the towel that is now 275 degrees)

As others have mentioned, this is for cleaning the glass and cooking racks.

Leave the seasoned walls alone 
36.gif

Last edited:
I'll have to give it a shot...JJ

Keep in mind that some of the "smoke " on your walls is part of the seasoning of the smoker 

I throw my racks in the oven when we run it on self clean mode, anything on the racks turns to ash and the racks come out spotless and almost new looking. Works every time.

Sent from my iPhone using smoke signals.

Another trick; when you clean the inside glass on a wood stove, use glass cleaner and dip the moist edge of the paper towel into the ashes.

that will remove the black tar but not scratch the glass.

that's a GREAT idea!!  can you put the cooking racks in the dishwasher??  that would sure be easy
usa.gif
Yes you can put in dishwasher, that is how I have been doing it for 6 years.  Best to do it right after finishing a smoke.  Don't be lazy and wait a few days.  The tuff bits use a brillo pad to get off before putting in dishwasher.
I throw my racks in the oven when we run it on self clean mode, anything on the racks turns to ash and the racks come out spotless and almost new looking. Works every time.
Sent from my iPhone using smoke signals.
I have heard but do not know first hand that due to the cheap stainless coating that eventually if using oven cleaner in the oven on self clean, the stainless coating starts coming off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky