Cleaning a Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

southernsausage

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Tupelo, Mississippi
Is there a product/degreaser thats food safe that I can use to clean the interior of my dads grill? I was thinking about getting it hot and spraying it down with water and scrubbing everything real good.

I know a lot of people say you should never clean a coffee cup or a grill... that makes no sense at all to me. I clean pots & pans, the oven, the microwave, etc, why is the grill any different?

No offense intended s2k9k, I just genuinely dont understand.

I clean my grill & smoker with the same things we use to clean in the kitchen - dish soap, all those spray bottles my wife buys, oven cleaner...  Depends how bad it is and how clean I want to get it.  It does get a thorough spic&span cleaning at least every spring.

Yes a hose & scrub brush works too, but I wouldnt heat it up first, I'd be concerned about thermal shock, plus I dont know that heating it would help if you're just going to cool it off by spraying water on it anyway.  I use dish soap for the grease when I need to get the hose out.

Last edited:
No offense taken! I was just asking to see if he thought something might be wrong, like it had been sitting and mold or something was growing. I was just fishing for more info.

I clean anything food will be touching very well. On my smoker I wipe out any grease with paper towels after any long smokes and give it a good heat up on high every once in awhile. My gas grill gets a work out at 500*-600* pretty often searing steaks  so it stays pretty well burned out.

Paul...I guess I was thinking that the steam created from the hot steel would do most of the dirty work. It's 1/4" thick and I wouldn't spray it with water if it was above say 300 or 325... May just do it without heating it up though. I found a degreaser product on a website that sounds good.

No offense taken! I was just asking to see if he thought something might be wrong, like it had been sitting and mold or something was growing. I was just fishing for more info.
Doh! I sure did misinterpret your question, sorry bout that!
Paul...I guess I was thinking that the steam created from the hot steel would do most of the dirty work. It's 1/4" thick and I wouldn't spray it with water if it was above say 300 or 325... May just do it without heating it up though. I found a degreaser product on a website that sounds good.
Yeah, steam would be great but I dont think that would generate enough steam to make any difference.

Sounds like you have some heavy grease buildup?  If so I'd just scrape most of it off, then use a kitchen degreaser product and a lot of paper towels.

Regardless what you use, be sure to crank up the heat afterwards to burn off any residual chems or soap. :)

I accidentally cleaned my BGE last weekend by opening up the vents to get it up to temp and not monitoring it closely. It developed temp to ~1200 and finished melting the gasket. Clean as a whistle, though, just like the clean cycle on your oven. New high temp Nomex gasket installed and ready to go.

For indirect grilling and smoking, I use disposable drip pans.  Heat and a wire brush will do the rest. Maybe a little oil on a paper towel for the cast iron grates after burning and brushing them.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky