Classic Whole Roasted Bird!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So my wife has been requesting a a classic whole bird for a while now so she can have leftover meat for her salads.... So today was the day!!!

Ok I just start it.....you don’t get anymore classic than this right here!!!
ED97B140-A40C-4E47-818A-B269DFB6598D.jpeg

So now that the ending of the story has been shared lest spend a little time with how this happed.......

It started out as a couple of Costco specials and both got treated to my little hack for getting whole birds to roast a bit more even.... the hack is cutting a portion of the back bone out so there is a nice opening to allow for free air flow through the breast cavity.
6EA3A2C6-B9F4-403C-81FB-644C9CF7ED94.jpeg

Since the kitchen is about to get gutted later this week just using some simple rubs my wife picked up (never tried them before). One test bird for each
E4399C87-E9F9-456C-8EF5-D7BCF890CE43.jpeg

On they go at 325 and poked with a few inkbirds for good measure......shooting for about 90min cook......
1CA9DB1F-0F63-435D-AA4D-27DA48051F5A.jpeg

While the birds are hanging out in the smoke the wing tips and removed back bone parts got seared in a hot pan with onions, garlic, and carrots, once nice and seared it was deglazed with some white wine
FEE374C5-94EC-4D9A-A511-3D62C873B03C.jpeg

3 cups worth of brown chicken stock (previously frozen) along with celery and fresh sage, thyme, rosemary, and some black pepper corns. This goes under a mid boils for 60min, then strained and thickened with a roux (1/3c of flour & butter) then seasoned.
B81C859D-69FA-4207-A41D-A9BB2DB1610F.jpeg

Bingo 93 mins..Breast IT 160 Thigh 180....I think momma will be happy!!!
4567B198-E5E5-4EBA-B624-47B01591BBEA.jpeg

This classic cook is joined with my wife’s butter mascarpone mash and some pan seared carrots.
768986DC-0351-402D-86D8-195E4B9DF119.jpeg

Pure classic whole roasted money!

Last edited:
Looks awesome Civil! Perfect color and perfectly cooked. The carrots and potatoes look delicious too. Nice work. I smoked 2 birds today, just simple, nothing fancy. Came out real good. I never realized that Chicken takes on more smoke flavor than other meats, which is great.

Looks good and plated nicely. Bev could eat Chicken 4X a week. Me not so much. I also avoid poultry the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. I really enjoy the Turkey much more after the break...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks awesome Civil! Perfect color and perfectly cooked. The carrots and potatoes look delicious too. Nice work. I smoked 2 birds today, just simple, nothing fancy. Came out real good. I never realized that Chicken takes on more smoke flavor than other meats, which is great.
Thanks MJB! Great minds think alike! Roast birds are very tasty I my book! With a good gravy they are top shelf! Yes they take on lots of flavor in the smoker!

You nailed the meat temps.
I quit doing whole and went to spatchcock to get the same results.
Thanks FA! I’ve done lots of spatchcock birds but wife wife looks at them and says that just looks wrong!!!! So hence had to find another way to get them to cook right. When I don’t cut them up in parts I do them this way. A whole roasted bird just makes my mouth water....and my wife comes and grabs a bite from the cutting board, something she wouldn’t do with spatchcock!

Looks good and plated nicely. Bev could eat Chicken 4X a week. Me not so much. I also avoid poultry the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. I really enjoy the Turkey much more after the break...JJ
Thanks JJ! We usually do the opposite and eat lots of birds the week before..... we usually only get a 15 lb Turkey but the boy informed us that nothing less than 20 will do this year...... I say that and hope we get to do a big meal..... Wednesday afternoon all the cabinets in the kitchen will be gone and gone with them the POS glass top induction....with hope the new NG line will go in without issue and the new kitchen cabs go in......fingers crossed we will be cooking with gas for Thanksgiving......If not we will be cooking the old fashioned way........

So my wife has been requesting a a classic while bird for a while now so she can have leftover meat for her salads.... So today was the day!!!

Ok I just start it with you don’t get anymore classic than this right here!!!
View attachment 471101

So now that the ending of the story has been shared lest spend a little time with how this happed.......

It started out as a couple of Costco specials and both got treated to my little hack for getting whole birds to roast a bit more even.... the hack is cutting a portion of the back bone out so there is a nice opening to allow for free air flow through the breast cavity.
View attachment 471094

Since the kitchen is about to get gutted later this week just using some simple rubs my wife picked up (never tried them before). One test bird for each
View attachment 471095

On they go at 325 and poked with a few inkbirds for good measure......shooting for about 90min cook......
View attachment 471096

While the birds are hanging out in the smoke the wing tips and removed back bone parts got seared in a hot pan with onions, garlic, and carrots, once nice and seared it was deglazed with some white wine
View attachment 471097

3 cups worth of brown chicken stock (previously frozen) along with celery and fresh sage, thyme, rosemary, and some black pepper corns. This goes under a mid boils for 60min, then strained and thickened with a roux (1/3c of flour & butter) then seasoned.
View attachment 471098

Bingo 93 mins..Breast IT 160 Thigh 180....I think momma will be happy!!!
View attachment 471099

This classic cook is joined with my wife’s butter mascarpone mash and some pan seared carrots.
View attachment 471100
Pure classic whole roasted money!

Dad, that all looks amazing.

But where did you find the Kinder's rubs? The Kinder's family is my hometown locals only biggest secret.
I grew up with the Kinder boys and dated one of the Kinder's girls in high school. Their Gramps was
'The man himself Mr Kinder" Every town around here withing 50 miles has at least one Kinder's BBQ/Butcher Shop/Deli in it my town has three of them........They are a big deal out here, and they make the absolute best marinaded ball tip, tri tip and chicken you've ever tasted. Everything is grilled direct over lump oak coals hot and fast (the way T.T and B.T. should be done I.M.O.P). They started in the gasoline refinery district and grilled tri tips, ball tips and chicken every day right outside the gates of 3 refineries to serve the workers fresh off the grill hot sandwiches and great sides for $5.00 it included whole pickles, raw white onions, chips and a soda.

Last edited:

But where did you find the Kinder's rubs? The Kinder's family is my hometown locals only biggest secret.
I grew up with the Kinder boys and dated one of the Kinder's girls in high school. Their Gramps was
'The man himself Mr Kinder" Every town around here withing 50 miles has at least one Kinder's BBQ/Butcher Shop/Deli in it my town has three of them........They are a big deal out here, and they make the absolute best marinaded ball tip, tri tip and chicken you've ever tasted Everything is grilled direct over lump oak coals (the way T.T and B.T. should be done). They started in the gasoline refinery district and grilled tri tips, ball tips and chicken every day right outside the gates of 3 refineries to serve the workers fresh off the grill hot sandwiches and great sides for $5.00 with included pickles, raw white onions, chips and a soda.
I see Kinders at Costco

Reactions: forktender

'The man himself Mr Kinder" Every town around here withing 50 miles has at least one Kinder's BBQ/Butcher Shop/Deli in it my town has three of them........They are a big deal out here, and they make the absolute best marinaded ball tip, tri tip and chicken you've ever tasted. Everything is grilled direct over lump oak coals hot and fast (the way T.T and B.T. should be done I.M.O.P). They started in the gasoline refinery district and grilled tri tips, ball tips and chicken every day right outside the gates of 3 refineries to serve the workers fresh off the grill hot sandwiches and great sides for $5.00 it included whole pickles, raw white onions, chips and a soda.
My wife found it at Wally World..... Its a pretty small world for sure. It was a pretty tasty store rub when time doesn't allow a self mix for sure. The butter flavor is a nice touch....

I see Kinders at Costco
I checked our Costco and its not an item for us.....

Beautiful birds! Big like!
Thanks disco....like dancing with big bird...LOL

Looks good. Nice presentation.

Many thanks rob!

Heck yeah! I could do chicken anytime and these look fantastic.
Many thanks JCAP! It was a nice simple meal for sure. I have me fingers cross that the turkey bird will turn out similar.......

Looks great . Whole birds are the way to go .
Thanks Chop. I do like the looks a a whole bird! These turned out really good, nice crispy skin!

Looks great Civil !
Much appreciated Jim!

Yup another awesome cook by civil. I can do chicken as many days as there is in a week.

Warren
Thanks Warren! We haven't done a bird for a wild so it was like WHY NOT!

View attachment 471145

Nailed that one man! It all looks delicious. I just did one last weekend and about time to stock up while they are $.49 a lb.
Thanks Smokin! Yea it was a $9 meal! The wife made chicken salad sandwich out of part one.....on a croissant....oh man tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky