Classic Rub for Chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
Can anyone recommend a good classic rub for chicken? I always use my pork rub, but I'm wondering if there is something better. I don't want anything creative, like wasabi and mango puree with squid ink. Just plain old BBQ chicken.

I would also be interested in tips for keeping the meat juicy. I don't have problems with whole chickens, but today a friend made chicken parts in my Smokin-It, and the meat was on the dry side. Also, the skin had the texture of a warm inner tube.

He used hickory, and he said he weighed it according to the Smokin-It guidelines, but the chicken seemed to have a creosote flavor. He took it out somewhat late. The breasts were at 169.

As far as runs I wont be much help there, I usually just use some salt, pepper and garlic , as far as smoking chicken takes on lots of smoke pretty quick, usually 45 to 60 minutes is good for me, if you what crispy skin you'll need to up the temps to 350 -400

I've switched to a low salt commercial rub that's available on the west coast and online (Pappy's). I buy a 32 oz container for not much more than it would cost me to make it.

I do low salt because I don't like paying for salt. It's a cheap filler in commercial rubs. I can add my own salt.

Brining a chicken in an acid-free brine for 8-12 hours is a great way to even out the temp differences between the breast and the thighs/legs. Dry brining also works if you put the salted seasoning under the breast skin. Don't overdo the brine or you'll have a salty, inedible bird.

If you want to wow your eaters, throw a half tsp of pink curing salt in a gallon of the brine. It won't cure the meat, but it will add an almost imperceptible hammy flavor profile that will drive folks nuts trying to figure it out. I only use 1/2 cup regular salt per couple of gallons of brine, then toss in the curing salt.

If you know the heat flow in your smoker, keep the breast facing away from the flow. The dark meat is MUCH more forgiving. It is tender and juicy anywhere from 175F-195F internal temp. Unbrined breasts get dry and chalky over about 165F. They can go higher and stay juicy if brined.

A lightly salted brine with acid (orange juice, pineapple juice, any vinegar) will also give a juicy bird. DO NOT brine more than 3-4 hours or the acid will result in tough meat.

Beer can stands also give a nice result. I use one that I can load with two chickens. Keep the breasts facing each other so the back and legs get most of the heat.

Rubbery skin is a sign of too low a chamber temp. Skin likes high heat to get bite through or crispy.

Creosote flavor is ashy smoke (white or gray). Thin blue smoke (TBS) has the flavor elements you want. Use a little patience and don't load the meat until you see TBS.

Reactions: yeana
Thanks for the tips. I think the curing salt is genius, especially if it helps my electric smoker fake a smoke ring.

I love a beer butt chicken. I should get back to it. I miss watching the fat gush out during carving.

I believe my buddy got a funny piece of hickory. I walked by the smoker early on, and the smoke was not clear and pretty the way it should have been. I didn't want to micromanage, so I let it go.

Maybe I should throw the chicken in a 550-degree oven for a few minutes after low and slow smoking. Think that would improve the skin?

He used Lawry's and nothing else to season the meat, and he underdid it pretty severely. I didn't say anything.

What's the best temperature for the smoker when fixing chicken? We were at 225-ish today.

I start out around 220 for45-60 minutes then crank it up to 400 until done to crisp skin. Or use you oven like you mentioned

That makes sense to me. I think my friend left it in the smoker too long. And he should have smeared it with some kind of fat.

Start brining your chicken in a solution of water, salt, sugar and vinegar. You can substitute citrus juices for the vinegar but once you have had brined chicken you will never see or cook it the same. So flavorful and juicy. From there you only need flavors in rub like garlic, onions or herbs. Brining chicken in something simple like pickle juice even will change your world at the supper table.

Good points and great info made already. I just don't care for "smoked" chicken breast. It's so mild it is easy to oversmoke. I prefer the kiss of smoke from a wood fire grill but I use my gas grill at 325F ish with tube of pellets to achieve that.

To me the classic chix rub is SPOG with some paprika for color but I prefer chili powder. 1TBSP chili powder and 1tsp each SPOG. That said, I am all about jerk chicken.

Agree with zwiller zwiller . IMO chicken takes on smoke very quickly, so much so that I now do chicken on the grill and use a smoking tube with pellets. 4 lb birds usually are done in approx 1 hour with great crispy skin. Whether whole or pieces a brine makes a big difference. One of our most favorite recipes is a whole bird, see recipe in the sig below. BTW, I no longer put anything in the can :emoji_wink:

yesterday the wife asked me to BBQ some chicken and when i started to make my usual rub i realized we were out of brown sugar so i subituted white sugar ( never tried it before in a rub ) but the chicken was great using it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky