CI Deep Dish Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 30, 2018
I finally tried my first attempt at making pizza dough with the help of my wife. The pepperoni was bought from Graziano Brothers in Des Moines. Turned out great for a rookie.

7BFB9BD9-9CCC-4763-9790-ABBBE1B8B2E6.jpeg
30A02E53-0243-4884-815B-40309AF9A5C1.jpeg
A017103B-7A9C-44FF-B9FB-B4874A691247.jpeg

Very nice, man I could do some serious damage to a pizza pie like that… looks delicious! Well done!

Reactions: Ishi
That looks incredible! I’ve waited in a few lines, freezing in Chicago for a pie like that! Great work!

Very nice looking pizza, first attempt or your hundredth. I battled pizza for years and with the help of the good folks here finally got it dialed in. Matter of fact, I did one last night for dinner. It's been quite an evolution for me though. First was making the sausage, salami, pepperoni, etc that went of the pizzas. Then was homemade marinara. Then was homemade dough. Finally, and the thing that I feel took it to a whole new level, was getting a 14" cast iron pizza pan. Oh man!! What a difference that has made. Perfect cook on the crust every time.

Nice job on that! I see you left half for me!

I'll arm wrestle you for that last piece Ryan :emoji_laughing:

Robert

The dough/crust looks pretty good. Not sure what recipe you used. But I think changing the sugar in it will darken the dough up a little. I’m sure some pizza gurus could chime in. I use to love a bunch of sauce in pizza but unfortunately starting about 8 years ago it’s instant heartburn for me hahah

Nice job on that! I see you left half for me! Just can't beat homemade pizza.

Ryan
Thank you

Very nice, man I could do some serious damage to a pizza pie like that… looks delicious! Well done!
Thanks

That looks incredible! I’ve waited in a few lines, freezing in Chicago for a pie like that! Great work!
Thanks sir!
Very nice looking pizza, first attempt or your hundredth. I battled pizza for years and with the help of the good folks here finally got it dialed in. Matter of fact, I did one last night for dinner. It's been quite an evolution for me though. First was making the sausage, salami, pepperoni, etc that went of the pizzas. Then was homemade marinara. Then was homemade dough. Finally, and the thing that I feel took it to a whole new level, was getting a 14" cast iron pizza pan. Oh man!! What a difference that has made. Perfect cook on the crust every time.

I'll arm wrestle you for that last piece Ryan :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks and yes I’ve learned a lot on here!
Looks fantastic!
Thank You
That's one pretty pizza. I bet it tasted as good as it looks.
Thanks and yes it was good
That does look good!!!
Thank You
What'd you cook it in?
14 inch Cast Iron skillet

The dough/crust looks pretty good. Not sure what recipe you used. But I think changing the sugar in it will darken the dough up a little. I’m sure some pizza gurus could chime in. I use to love a bunch of sauce in pizza but unfortunately starting about 8 years ago it’s instant heartburn for me hahah
I’m making a pizza again tomorrow night. The recipe call for 2 cups flour along with the regular stuff and for sugar it calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar. Yes I would like the crust browned more so do I add or take away on the amount of sugar?

Looks like your pizza experience is growing! One suggestion, try just one with a little less sauce, like one-quarter to one-half of what you've used. A suggestion I received long ago is, "If you can't see the what's underneath the sauce, you're using too much."

Pizza on!

Ray

Reactions: Ishi and chopsaw
Your pies look great!!
No need to change the amount of sauce if that is what you enjoy eating, stick with it. I will admit that I use very little sauce on my pies, and it's only crushed tomatoes with a little S&P some EVOO and a few basil leafs.

To darken your crust, try adding some malt instead of changing the sugar amount in your recipe.
1664793261168.png

You can buy a bag on amazon, a bag is $11 and will last a lifetime of pizza making.
Start by adding 1/4 teaspoon to your two pie recipe at a time. Google the exact about for the amount of flour in your dough recipe.

The stuff is a game changer, in both the flavor of the crust and color of crust.

great looking pizza!! i enjoy them both ways, lots of sauce or less sauce!! it just depends on my mood that day and both ways taste good to me.

Fine looking pizzas! Way overdue for homemade pizza myself!

Ryan

Your pies look great!!
No need to change the amount of sauce if that is what you enjoy eating, stick with it. I will admit that I use very little sauce on my pies, and it's only crushed tomatoes with a little S&P some EVOO and a few basil leafs.

To darken your crust, try adding some malt instead of changing the sugar amount in your recipe.
View attachment 645009

You can buy a bag on amazon, a bag is $11 and will last a lifetime of pizza making.
Start by adding 1/4 teaspoon to your two pie recipe at a time. Google the exact about for the amount of flour in your dough recipe.

The stuff is a game changer, in both the flavor of the crust and color of crust.
That’s the tip I’m looking for! I’ve tried a bit more sugar but I’m still seeking a darker crust! I’ll be ordering some for sure.

This is how a make my pizzas. I put the dough in a greased CI skillet then line the bottom with sliced mozzarella then the meat. I baked it at 475-500 degrees for 11 minutes. Then it’s pulled out and warmed up sauce is put on and another layer of mozzarella then baked again for another 11 minutes.
Next time I might just assemble the whole pie and see what happens. I hate soggy crust but maybe it won’t be a problem.
It probably appears to have a lot of sauce on my pie’s but no has complained yet. Thanks for all the help! I’ve got much to learn yet and every bit helps.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky