Chucky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
So I seasoned up a 3lb chuck roast with Wooster sauce and Montreal Steak Seasoning
DSCN1558.JPG

Put the chucky into a 131º sous vide pot for exactly 30 hours, then out for a char with the weed torch

DSCN1564.JPG

I had sautéed some shrooms and onions in butter and wine earlier so I deglazed the pan, added the juice from the sous vide bag and a little more cabernet for a reduction

DSCN1566.JPG

I sliced what I needed for dinner and was really happy, should have kept my shadow out of the pic

DSCN1567.JPG

Drizzled the reduction sauce over the beef and plated it up with the shrooms, some asparagus, and a buttery yam, nice glass of cab.

DSCN1569.JPG

My first bite removed all skepticism about tenderness, the chucky had the texture of a New York steak, only with more flavor. Kudos and a tip of the cap to chopsaw chopsaw and Bearcarver Bearcarver , this recipe is a real keeper and will be repeated at my home time and again. I thought about striking while the iron was hot so I bagged the remaining chuck roast and placed it back in the sous vide pot to see what effect another twenty hours would have on it. I'll have pretty much the same dinner tonight and will report any significant difference back on this thread tomorrow. Thanks for lookin'! RAY

Ray looks good I am not into the SV I bought 1 of the $13.00 ones from wallmart it works.
I only used it to finish some Kielbasi one time.
Richie

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks great, I plan on doing 1 so will be watching , I did some steaks recently at that temp for 4 hours if I remember correctly, I was starting to get a green color did you get any off colors?

Ray looks good I am not into the SV I bought 1 of the $13.00 ones from wallmart it works. I only used it to finish some Kielbasi one time. Richie

Don't cheat yourself Richie, sous vide is a great cooking method. This was the first time I tried a tough roast for a long period and was thrilled with the results. I've been using the sous vide for steaks for almost two years now, they come out perfect each and every time. I haven't had a steak that wasn't sous vide since the first time I did one, they cook evenly all the way thru. They also do a great job on leftovers, heating the food back up to temperature without overcooking. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Ray maybe next time I try a chuck I will give that some thought. I did a bone less Prime Rib yesterday in the oven,it was pink all the way thru. The other thing I need is space to do it my kitchen is tiny.
Richie

Looks great, I plan on doing 1 so will be watching , I did some steaks recently at that temp for 4 hours if I remember correctly, I was starting to get a green color did you get any off colors?

I do boneless ribeye steaks straight from the freezer to the sous vide pot all the time for 4-5 hours Mike, can't remember having any off colors crop up. That's weird, if there was nothing wrong with the meat maybe it had something to do with water softness or was some kind of a reflection. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Ray maybe next time I try a chuck I will give that some thought. I did a bone less Prime Rib yesterday in the oven, it was pink all the way thru. The other thing I need is space to do it my kitchen is tiny.
Richie

I've got a few boneless rib roasts in my freezer Richie, 3 to 6 pounds. I did a small one in the sous vide awhile back and it didn't make much difference, the prime is so tender it doesn't need to be sous vide. My favorite way to cook a prime roast is on the weber with indirect heat, I like to pull them when the IT hits 125º. The whole thing with sous vide is you can make a tough cut like a eye of round, sirloin tip, or chuck roast tender enough to eat with a fork without overcooking it. It's somewhat akin to the low and slow miracle that occurs when smoking a brisket, the enzymes in the meat break down to where a tough cut turns tender, only with sous vide that can happen at 131º instead of 203º. I'll be very interested to see what effect the additional 20 hours in the sous vide bath has. RAY

I've got a few boneless rib roasts in my freezer Richie, 3 to 6 pounds. I did a small one in the sous vide awhile back and it didn't make much difference, the prime is so tender it doesn't need to be sous vide. My favorite way to cook a prime roast is on the weber with indirect heat, I like to pull them when the IT hits 125º. The whole thing with sous vide is you can make a tough cut like a eye of round, sirloin tip, or chuck roast tender enough to eat with a fork without overcooking it. It's somewhat akin to the low and slow miracle that occurs when smoking a brisket, the enzymes in the meat break down to where a tough cut turns tender, only with sous vide that can happen at 131º instead of 203º. I'll be very interested to see what effect the additional 20 hours in the sous vide bath has. RAY
Ray PR is one of my favorite cuts,I did a Picanha on the kettle that was fork tender.I'll be watching to see what the 20 more does.
Richie

Looks great I too not into the SV game. I enjoy the outside and the smell of the smoke and I have never cooked anything 30 hours.

Warren

Nice looking Chuck! I haven't gotten into SV, but seeing how great that turned out makes me want to!

Yup---I don't do tender fatty cuts in the SV (Like Prime Rib & Ribeyes). The Fat doesn't break down the way I like it.
Actually I like my Meat Med-Rare & my Fat well done.
I'm anxious to see what the extra 20 hours gives us. Don't let me miss that report.
BTW: Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Looks great I too not into the SV game. I enjoy the outside and the smell of the smoke and I have never cooked anything 30 hours. Warren

I like to cook outdoors too Warren, but not when I have to dress like a eskimo. Thanks for the like, I appreciate it. RAY

• Haha
Reactions: Will Squared
Yup---I don't do tender fatty cuts in the SV (Like Prime Rib & Ribeyes). The Fat doesn't break down the way I like it. Actually I like my Meat Med-Rare & my Fat well done. I'm anxious to see what the extra 20 hours gives us. Don't let me miss that report. BTW: Nice Job!! Like. Bear

Thanks for the like Bear, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to seeing how much more the meat softens up and what the texture is, that'll play into how long I do them in the future. I've got a loose molar that's been hanging on by a thread for about 25 years giving me a shot of pain every time I bite down on it, it's coming out the day after tomorrow. Another great way to cook a ribeye steak is on a wire rack in a 200º oven until it reaches a IT of 120º, then sear it in a red hot CI skillet. It cooks evenly all the way thru just like sous vide. RAY

Looks good Ray . Yup , wondering on the extended cook time also . Mike , I've had it happen one time . I dried it off and hard sear in the cast iron .

Thanks for the like Rich, I appreciate it. I wouldn't know what to think about green meat, but I don't think I'd much like it! RAY

Well yesterday around 4:30 I sat down to just about the exact same chuck roast dinner as I did the day before, the difference being that the chucky had now been sous vide for a total of 50 hours instead of 30. I said the texture at 30 hours was like a NY steak, at 50 it was just like prime rib. I did not re-sear yesterday, went straight from the pot to the dinner plate. In the future I'll be doing my chucky' s 48-50 hours in the sous vide, this is what I was looking for. RAY
DSCN1572.JPG
DSCN1573.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky