Chuckie help?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daddyzaring

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
I found a small chuckie at a good price and grabbed it figuring it would be good to practice with before I make this big pork butt.  I am wanting to pull them, but not 100% sure what all I need to do.  So any and all tips anyone is willing to share are very welcome.  ty

I am not an expert here, but I smoked mine to IT of 205 using 225-250 temps. Use a beef rub of your liking.  I injected mine also

Just smoke it till it falls apart. Chucks take a beating so you'll be hard pressed to ruin it. 205 internal will be plenty.

I am wanting to do it like you would do a pull pork, if you can?

Just smoke it till it falls apart. Chucks take a beating so you'll be hard pressed to ruin it. 205 internal will be plenty.
Been there and done that, good reply from Pit 4 Brains.

I take mine and smoke it in a foil pan with a good beef  rub of Turbinado sugar, Black pepper, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.   Smoke in the 225 to 240 area with your favorite wood until temps are about 165 to 170, then remove the juices from the pan and reserve for later.  Foil the top and continue to cook until you get to 205.   Pull out of the smoker, and let rest for at least 30 minutes, then pull it just like a pork shoulder.  Dribble a bit of the juices you reserved from earlier on top of the shredded meat as a finishing sauce.  Comes out fantastic.

Happy Smokes!

Thank you FW, that helped.  I couldn't remember exactly what I wanted to ask about specifically, but what you do with the juices was one.  The other (before I forget), is about wrapping in a towel and putting it in a cooler,  exactly what does that entail, and does it apply to chuckies, or just pork butts?  ty

One other thing, when using a foil pan, do you turn the meat?  The last meatloaf I smoked, I made a little too big(I should have split into multi loafs), so I had to put a piece of foil under it, and it didn't get smoked very well on the bottom.

I take mine and smoke it in a foil pan with a good beef  rub of Turbinado sugar, Black pepper, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.   Smoke in the 225 to 240 area with your favorite wood until temps are about 165 to 170, then remove the juices from the pan and reserve for later.  Foil the top and continue to cook until you get to 205.   Pull out of the smoker, and let rest for at least 30 minutes, then pull it just like a pork shoulder.  Dribble a bit of the juices you reserved from earlier on top of the shredded meat as a finishing sauce.  Comes out fantastic.

Happy Smokes!

Last edited:
DaddyZ, The only time I wrap meat with towels and put into a cooler is when I need to hold the meat while everything else is coming together and/or waiting for guests to arrive.  I've been doing pretty good at having things come together at the right time that I don't need to put the meat in the cooler.

I pull it off the smoker and loosly tent it with foil and let sit for 15-20 minutes and then slice or pull. 

I coat mine with Wooster sauce, then a rub, wrapped in plastic wrap over night in fridge.

Then I smoke mine at 230˚ to 240˚, out of the pan to 165˚ internal, spitzing it with a combo of wooster sauce & apple juice a couple times, after the first hour & a half. Then foil it with about 4 ounces of the same mix, until it gets to about 200˚. Then I shut the heat down & open the door until the smoker temp gets down to about 180˚, but leave it in the smoker for another hour or 2. Then pull it out & pull it apart.

Leaving it in the smoker, foiled, with the heat killed, acts similar to being in a cooler (IMO). Save the juice that's in the foil at the end, and remove the fat.

Similar to Fourthwind, except for the pan.

Also I don't probe mine, until 3 or 4 hours. Then I sterilize the meat probe with an alcohol wipe, before penetrating the chuckie. This way the 4 hour danger zone rule is avoided.

Bear

I rub them with Jeff’s Naked Rib Rub.

Smoke them with hickory at about 225° to an internal temp of 200° and foil them for a couple of hours before pulling them.

Serve it with Jeff’s Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive sauce

Tastes like a pot roast on smoke.

Makes my mouth water just thinking about them 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I have never turned it in the pan when doing chuckies.  I do it with Brisket so that I get a nice smoke ring all the way around the meat.  This is more for presentation looks for comps however.

Adding liguids to the pan while cooking is just a matter of personal taste.  I was brought up that putting liquids into chuck roasts was poaching the meat like in a crockpot.  Again this is just a mater of how you want your meat to taste.  It's all part of the fun in smoking and cooking.  The experiments give you an excuse to smoke more often to try out different recipes and methods :)

I typically do not wrap chuckies in towels and rest for long periods when I am pulling the meat.   only slicing.    If you are slicing or resting to give yourself more time, you can wrap the meat in foil, then in a few layers of towels, and into an insulated container.  It keeps the meat at safe internal temps for hours.

I put the meat loafs and fatties right on the grill, and just rotate them once during the smoke.  Try wrapping your next meat loaf in a bacon weave.  GOTTA LOVE BACON!

As a final hint.  Get yourself a spiral notebook, and make notes of everything you do on every experiment.  Smoker temps, woods, OAT,  spice combinations and amounts..  and so forth.  It helps a lot when tweaking recipes and methods.  I have a digital recipe program that I tranfer things to once I have them set. 

Happy Smokes!

Thank you FW, that helped.  I couldn't remember exactly what I wanted to ask about specifically, but what you do with the juices was one.  The other (before I forget), is about wrapping in a towel and putting it in a cooler,  exactly what does that entail, and does it apply to chuckies, or just pork butts?  ty

One other thing, when using a foil pan, do you turn the meat?  The last meatloaf I smoked, I made a little too big(I should have split into multi loafs), so I had to put a piece of foil under it, and it didn't get smoked very well on the bottom.

Question, would it be better to dry rub, or mustard and rub? Also, I know it goes by temp, but generally how long does it take to cook a chuckie to be pulled, do they stall like pork butts?  It isn't very big, only 4lbs. I have it thawing right now, so I can smoke it tomorrow.  I am trying to get a feel of what I'll need to do next week with my very first 18lb or so Pork Butt.

Last edited:
I just did  a couple of chuckies last weekend (1st time), I put on mustard and then the rub.  The chucks  were about 2 lbs each and were only about 1 inch to an inch and a half thick.  I smoked them at about 235-250 and they went up to 165 in just over an hour and then I foiled them and cooked to  205...I pulled them and they turned about pretty good, I think it only took about 3 hours (cooking time) because they were so thin.

Question, would it be better to dry rub, or mustard and rub? Also, I know it goes by temp, but generally how long does it take to cook a chuckie to be pulled, do they stall like pork butts?  It isn't very big, only 4lbs. I have it thawing right now, so I can smoke it tomorrow.  I am trying to get a feel of what I'll need to do next week with my very first 18lb or so Pork Butt.

Daddy,

I like to put mustard - then rub on pork, but on beef I like Wooshy sauce - then rub. I just did a 3 pound 6 ounce Chucky on Wednesday. It was my best one yet. I should be posting it later this morning (step by step). {There was no stall on this one}

Bear

Chuckies really depend on the amount of fat they have in them. Some take as long as Briskets, and some don't.   You just have to judge it by the marbeling.  They will stall, it is just a matter of how much. I estimate at 1.5 hours per pound on a regular size chuck.  The good thing is that if necessary they re heat very well.  Most of the time I do chuckies the day before an event.  Pull the meat, and the next day I just put in an oven and heat up, sauce and serve. 

I use spicy brown mustard before rubbing. I think I get a better bark that way.

Good luck today!

Well I got it done finally (sorry no pics, did good just to get cooking done lol), it turned outpretty good, I ended up having to cook it another 2 hours in the oven after 7 hours in the smoker.  Is it usual for it ti taste better cold?  It tasted alright last night, but after I took it out to put in different containers, I had some, and it taste so much better?  Thanks for everyones help. :)

Daddyz

I have been following this post with a great deal of interest to see what help you got and with all the help and no qview I just gotta hit you with this one - dont be mad but you had a lot of help and we live for qview

1623e85c_Pictures-11.jpg

Love ya man

Last edited:
Reactions: deannc
Daddyz

I have been following this post with a great deal of interest to see what help you got and with all the help and no qview I just gotta hit you with this one - dont be mad but you had a lot of help and we live for qview

1623e85c_Pictures-11.jpg

Love ya man

applause.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky