Chuck Roast Tacos Using 2 New Toys.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Last week, my brothers and my wife chipped in and got me a Masterbuilt Gravity 560 for a birthday present. I assembled and seasoned earlier in the week so the first chance I got to use it was Labor Day. I decided on something simple so I could develop a feel for the new smoker. I figured a chuck roast would be perfect.

Another reason I decided on the chuck was because chopsaw chopsaw sent me a homemade wooden tortilla press. So I was eager to take both of these new toys on their maiden voyage.

I found a beautiful and ginormous 5lb Chuck Roast seasoned up with tx smoker tx smoker beef rub with additional cumin, ancho and black pepper sprinkled on top.
IMG_5413.jpg

Here's the 560 in action. It works as advertised and heats up to 250F in under 10 minutes. Although I let it run for about 25 minutes so the heavy smoke dissipated before I threw the chuck on. I ran it with Kingsford briquettes with some chunks of hickory in the hopper. I also threw some chunks in the ash bin. These didn't smoke as much as I thought they would. It seemed the Kingsford was more ash than embers but I will be trying different brands and lump charcoal to see what works best for me.
IMG_5415.jpg

I decided to smoke the chuck roast at 250F for 7 hours and to be honest, it was quite boring. There were no needle valves to adjust, splits to add or vents to adjust. I kinda stared aimlessly out the window while the smoker did all the work. Since I had nothing to do during this time, I threw together a Chile de arbol sauce for the tacos.
IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

Here's the chuck after 7 hours. I wasn't looking for IT (it was 163) but was looking at the bark because I would finish the chuck in the oven. Looks pretty good to me!
IMG_5420.jpg

Next, the chuck gets panned and goes into a 300F oven until probe tender. This took about 2.5 hours. I add enchilada sauce and chili puree as a braise.
IMG_5422.jpg

Two and a half hours later.
IMG_5425.jpg

Shredded and then covered in a 200 oven to keep warm while I start the tortillas.
IMG_5427.jpg

Here's chopsaw chopsaw press that I will be using. This thing is just gorgeous!!! Thank you so much Rich.
IMG_5336.jpg

First corn tortilla on the new press. It was perfect! All the other tortillas came out just great. I made 9 on Monday and also 6 more for Taco Tuesday. Chop, I wouldn't change a thing. This press makes a pretty mean tortilla.
IMG_5428.jpg

Here's the finished product of the new smoker and press. Shredded chuck roast tacos with onion, cilantro, queso fresco, lime juice and chile de arbol sauce on mine. The wife passed because the sauce packs too much heat.
IMG_5429.jpg

These were so good, that I had to have them today for leftovers. There's also enough meat for more tacos tomorrow. Three nights in a row!? I'm not complaining.
IMG_5443.jpg

Well, I would consider this a pretty successful first run with the new toys. Rich's wood press works as advertised. The smoker ran great. My only gripe was that the paint bubbled and started to peel off the charcoal hopper lid after only one smoke. Oh well, can't complain about a gift and I was aware of some of Masterbuilt's quality issues beforehand. I'm going to invest in the SS inserts once my chimney firebox starts to rust out. Once the paint comes off, I'll probably just wire brush and hit it with some Hi temp spray paint.
IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Great new toys and a great cook to break them in, very nice indeed.

I'll take six tacos, please.

One of the things I like best about some sites is the contacts and friendships made, and the generosity of so many.
That's a nice gift right there, and so useful.

Congrats on the new smoker too.
Though it sucks to blatant manufacturing issues.

Reactions: JC in GB
Tacos look great! Congrats on the new toys! Do you put wood chunks anywhere in that smoker?

awesome looking tacos! Even more awesome is that tortilla press, would love to make homemade ones. Nice job

Ryan

Wow!! A 560 for a B-day present. Sweet!! But you would expect Masterbuilt would spend the little extra and use a decent high heat paint.
Great looking taco press. Rich really does nice work.
Well, paint aside, the 560 sure looks like it performed beautifully, 'cause that is some goooood looking pulled chuck.
Gary

Great new toys and a great cook to break them in, very nice indeed.

I'll take six tacos, please.

One of the things I like best about some sites is the contacts and friendships made, and the generosity of so many.
That's a nice gift right there, and so useful.

Congrats on the new smoker too.
Though it sucks to blatant manufacturing issues.

Thank you Chile and you are 100% correct about the generosity of others on this site. It’s good to know there are a lot of great people in this world. After all, we’re mostly internet strangers but we treat each other as friends and family.

Wow that press is awesome! Tacos look good also.

Thank you Peachey, it works great and it’s beautiful too. The walnut inlay and handle really make it stand out.

Tacos look great! Congrats on the new toys! Do you put wood chunks anywhere in that smoker?

Thanks Jeff. Wood can be placed scattered theroughout the charcoal hopper on the right(think of it as an upright minion method) and you could also place chunks in the ash bucket below. The falling embers will ignite the chunks below and produce smoke. You can use one or the other, or even both methods depending on your taste.

There’s guys that have placed a split upright in the hopper and surrounded it with charcoal. I haven’t done that but may experiment once the smoker gets older. It’s fun to try different things.

awesome looking tacos! Even more awesome is that tortilla press, would love to make homemade ones. Nice job

Ryan

Thank you Ryan, they are pretty easy to make. The press makes it much easier. Before this, I would put them on a cutting board and press flat with a glass pie plate.

All you need is a 5lb bag of instant corn masa and water. I keep my masa in the freezer, it’s nice knowing I always have them on hand and they taste much better than storebought. I believe Chop saw one of my posts with homemade tortillas, tried one and went down the road of making his own presses.

Wow!! A 560 for a B-day present. Sweet!! But you would expect Masterbuilt would spend the little extra and use a decent high heat paint.
Great looking taco press. Rich really does nice work.
Well, paint aside, the 560 sure looks like it performed beautifully, 'cause that is some goooood looking pulled chuck.
Gary

Thanks Gary, I was pretty schocked! My brothers already had the smoker for a bit once they heard me talking about one. They surprised me with it when they were in town. I just wished they could have stayed longer so I could have made something for them. As for the paint, I’ll just wire brush and touch up between cooks. The press from Rich is quality work for sure.

Joe, the toys are fantastic but those tacos are absolutely stunning. Beautiful work my friend and congrats on all the new stuff to play with insofar as learning the new smoker. I've heard some great things about the 560's and cannot wait t see some masterpiece cooks coming off of yours.

Big LIKE!!
Robert

bc14e5218d94c83dd4ca34ffbea51f8e91abf3e9&rid=giphy.gif

Dude those tacos are money. Congrats on the new smoker! I want to make some of that sauce for tacos this week. What all goes into it?

they look great! wish i had a few for breakfast.

Thank you Jim, that does sound good for breakfast! Some egg with them and a side of potatoes sounds good right about now.

Joe, the toys are fantastic but those tacos are absolutely stunning. Beautiful work my friend and congrats on all the new stuff to play with insofar as learning the new smoker. I've heard some great things about the 560's and cannot wait t see some masterpiece cooks coming off of yours.

Big LIKE!!
Robert

Thank you Robert! The tacos were good but I tried to keep the emphasis on the smoker and Chop’s tortilla press. I just didn’t want to bore everyone with the same ol tacos. I enjoyed them though.

I’m doing pulled pork this weekend with the 560...and after that I’m planning on smoking a full brisket on it which would be my first smoked packer. I found a place with a walk-in cooler. It was filled with briskets, whole sirloin roasts and ribeye roasts...It was like walking into heaven. I’m going to bring a jacket and look through all those briskets.

View attachment 462558

Dude those tacos are money. Congrats on the new smoker! I want to make some of that sauce for tacos this week. What all goes into it?

Thank you John, the tacos sure were good. The sauce is a Chile de Arbol sauce. It gives a nice heat and flavor when used as a condiment. Here’s a detailed recipe on it in this post.

Joe , glad it worked out for ya . Those tacos look great , but I'm going to look into that sauce .
Chicken tacos for us tonight . Getting ready to mix up the masa .
Heard good things about that smoker too .
Enjoy bud .

Joe , glad it worked out for ya . Those tacos look great , but I'm going to look into that sauce .
Chicken tacos for us tonight . Getting ready to mix up the masa .
Heard good things about that smoker too .
Enjoy bud .

Thanks again Rich, it worked out very well making the tortillas. How did those chicken tacos come out? We have ground chicken and black bean tacos on occasion but I want to make chicken tinga tacos in the near future.

Looks great. Possibly some heavy duty foil on the inside of that hopper cover will fix the bubbling and peeling?

I have gunky buildup on my smoker hopper cover as well. Foil fixes it.

Looks great. Possibly some heavy duty foil on the inside of that hopper cover will fix the bubbling and peeling?

I have gunky buildup on my smoker hopper cover as well. Foil fixes it.

Thanks JC. I'm going to add foil underneath the hopper cover before the next cook. Probably do a few more cooks before I start tinkering with it. I'd like to run a few bags of different brands of briquettes and lump and note the differences.

Thank you or sharing!!!

Question for you... After your 9.5 hour cook (7 in smoker and 2.5 in oven) did you let it rest, or did you shred right away?

I am looking to smoke a Chuck this weekend to put into some Arepas and just want to make sure I get the timing right and get it to shred without being dry.

Thank you :)

Reactions: xray
Those tacos look amazingly good. I'd say you have a pretty good set up there with the new toys. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.
Would you be willing to share your Chile de arbol sauce recipe? I am always looking for new stuff to try and that looks good.

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky