Chuck Flat in the MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Quick follow up to this thread I posted back in February .
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/new-cut-from-gfs-chuck-flat.305611/
Been waiting to get one of these smoked . Used the MES 30 because I had other stuff going on . Put some Apple chunks , and peach chips in the tray over the element . Gives a perfect amount of clean smoke . Seasoned the meat with salt and pepper only , then right on the grate . Ran the smoker temp at 225 .
At around 5 hours in the internal temp was 170 . I was surprised to see it had fantastic bark . Almost didn't pan it , but decided I would . Panned and wrapped , then back in and set the MES 30 to 250 . When it probed tender , I set the smoker to 150 and just held it there 'til supper time .
This came out fantastic . Really tender and great smoke flavor . Made a couple store bought sides , a homemade bread and boiled down some Lipton Savory herb and garlic soup .
Right out of the smoker .
20210406_180243.jpg
Sliced it up the put back in the pan liquid from the wrap .
20210406_180333.jpg 20210406_180611.jpg
Plated up , reduced soup on the slices . Did the bread in the 360 .
20210406_180607.jpg 20210406_180706.jpg
This was a great meal , and great to use the smoker again .
I looked last week at GFS , and these were up to $5.99 a pound .
Thanks for looking

Looks great Rich! Perfectly cooked, and your flavoring sounds delicious. That bread looks great too. I haven't seen Chuck Flat round these parts before. Great job.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks delicious. I'd tear up a plate of that for sure!
Thanks Jake . I almost didn't wrap , but remembered some conversations from other threads . So I stay with the success . It was really tender .

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks great Rich! Perfectly cooked, and your flavoring sounds delicious. That bread looks great too. I haven't seen Chuck Flat round these parts before. Great job.
Mike , it was so good . Wood chunks in the MES works fantastic . I only use the tube and pellets when I do smoked sausage or hams .
Cook down some of the Lipton's soup . Fantastic sauce .

Looks awesome Chop!
Thanks for the comment . The wood adds great flavor to that .

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks great. I’ve got a couple in the freezer. Gonna have to get one out soon. I remember it being very beefy and tender. Our GFS only had them the one time by mistake and I got 4 whole cryopacks @$1.99 / lbs on clearance to move them. No one would buy them he said because no one knew what they were.

Nice piece of work Rich, everything on that plate makes me happy! Nice fresh bread for moppin' up the last of the sauce, hard to beat, Like! RAY

Last edited:
Looking dang good Chop! I will have to check out my GFS. I had brisket flat stuck in my head until I saw pics. Looks very juicy and yummy. Curious, about how many pounds was the cut? Just trying to wrap my brain around this.

Reactions: chopsaw
Man that looks great. That bread looks to die for! I becoming a fan of holding meat in MES for several hours and started planning my time for it.
Thanks Brian . I've been mixing the dough with the food processor . Works great .
Looks great. I’ve got a couple in the freezer.
I wasn't sure either at first . We had that conversation . Just like a boneless short rib .
Thanks for looking Jeff .

That All looks Outstanding, Rich!
Nice Job!!
Like,
I always hold my Prime Ribs like that, by cutting the heat back to the IT of the meat, and opening the door so it gets down there quick. Works Great !!

Bear

Nice piece of work Rich, everything on that plate makes me happy! Nice fresh bread for moppin' up the lasy of the sauce, hard to beat,
Ray , it was one of those you think about all night , and can't wait to get at some more the next day . Thanks bud .

Looking dang good Chop! I will have to check out my GFS.
Thank for the comment . Look for those , but also look for Chuck tenders ( teres major ) . Great cut of steak .

I'll take two to go please?! Really like the simple and basic seasoning - SP to let the taste of the meat stand out.
Yup . Meat and smoke . I'm 99% salt and pepper only on beef and pork . Thanks for looking .

That All looks Outstanding, Rich!
Thanks John . Appreciate that .
I always hold my Prime Ribs like that, by cutting the heat back to the IT of the meat, and opening the door so it gets down there quick. Works Great !!
Yup . I did the same , held the door open . Plus I have the Auber . So once it gets down to the lower temp it holds great . I think it adds to the tenderness .

Reactions: Bearcarver
Where in the MES are you putting wood chunks? I've always liked the flavor from chunks better than chips.
Mike have the insides taken out of the chip area . It's a nice slow burn , with very little visible smoke . Start with whole chunks on the tray while the smoker heats up . So they warm slow . Takes an hour or so to burn them up . Even and clean . These pics are from a different smoke .
20201017_111227.jpg 20201017_114556.jpg
Nice clean and even . Perfect flavor on the meat .
20201017_133659.jpg
I have my MES dialed in for air flow and temp control . The right amount of air and steady temp makes this work .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky