Chuck Eyes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
Pretty straight forward meal for me and Mrs BEV. Hand cut chuck eyes, loaded baked potatos, smoked and caramelized onions, (mushrooms for the Mrs. and a porter. Seasoned with SPOG and added Rosemary and Thyme. Grilled on the little Smokey Joe with some RO Ridge, and maple chunks.
20180521_182911.jpg
20180521_182939.jpg
20180521_192056.jpg
20180521_192756.jpg
20180521_193342.jpg
20180521_195024.jpg
20180521_195112.jpg

This guy was making all kinds of racket disturbing my peaceful grilling.. He decided to roost in the trees behind my house last night, then again disturbing the peace with his incessant gobbles this morning. I might be posting in the poultry section next.

Turkey.jpg

That's a great looking meal! Nice medium rare on the steak...the only way to eat one.

If only I was closer to you I would bring the 12 gauge and be eating smoked turkey tomorrow!

Pretty straight forward meal for me and Mrs BEV. Hand cut chuck eyes, loaded baked potatos, smoked and caramelized onions, (mushrooms for the Mrs. and a porter. Seasoned with SPOG and added Rosemary and Thyme. Grilled on the little Smokey Joe with some RO Ridge, and maple chunks.
View attachment 364722 View attachment 364723 View attachment 364724 View attachment 364725 View attachment 364726 View attachment 364727 View attachment 364728

This guy was making all kinds of racket disturbing my peaceful grilling.. He decided to roost in the trees behind my house last night, then again disturbing the peace with his incessant gobbles this morning. I might be posting in the poultry section next.

View attachment 364729
the chuck eyes? were they chewy or tender cooked med. rare like that but that porter looks good. Never cooked a chuck other than a pot roast, maybe I am missing something

I have been studying and practicing breaking down large primal cuts (youtube etc). I can buy whole Chuck Roll (116A) at a local restaurant supply which is where chuck comes from. With this very large cut you can get several chuck roasts and chuck steaks or the very prime part I like to cut out is the chuck "eye" itself. On the cut, this is where the ribeye cut starts and the Chuck roll begins. And the rest is ground for burger. Most excellent ground beef that is!

Last edited:
In my experience chuck steaks themselves can be kind of stringy from the layers of sinew. Marinating helps, but it wont exactly be a ribeye. ...But if you cut out the eye and leave a little fat!

Looks like a great meal! That turkey would make a good meal as well!

Thank you. And I agree. But turkey jerky is my favorite way for those.

That's a great looking meal! Nice medium rare on the steak...the only way to eat one.

If only I was closer to you I would bring the 12 gauge and be eating smoked turkey tomorrow!

Thanks a lot! I might just see about getting the 12 Ga Ithica featherweight out of the locker tonight.

I could eat that meal all week long Points
Richie

Thanks Richie. I have a hankering for more already!

that looks delicious, those onions are the stamp on a great looking meal

You are too kind. I love onions like that. I don't know why I don't make them more often. Oh yea... mamma doesn't eat 'em. Oh well... more for me!

Never bought Chuck steaks before. Looks great!

Thanks Rings. Sometimes I see just chuck eyes packaged in the store, or if you ask the butcher to do it for you... Better yet, peel it out yourself and grind the rest for burger.

In my experience chuck steaks themselves can be kind of stringy from the layers of sinew. Marinating helps, but it wont exactly be a ribeye. ...But if you cut out the eye and leave a little fat!

Yup---Chuck Eye Steaks are much better than Chuck Steaks.
I found them to be slightly more "Chewy" than Ribeyes, but other than that their only weakness is they seem to fall apart easily while grilling.
Yours look Tasty!!!:)
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky