Christmas Turkey and Ham help please - Updated with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backyardsmokin

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Castle Rock, CO
Hello all,

This year I have decided to do a 14lb ham and a 14 turkey for Christmas Dinner for 10 people.  Lots of food and lots of leftovers.

In the past I have had issues with timing on the grill and food not being ready when needed.  So, this time I am starting early so I can do the foil wrap if needed.

Here are my thoughts for time line:

12/20 - start defrost of Turkey and Ham in Fridge
12/23 - 8am Start Turkey Brine
12/24 - 8am Remove Turkey from Brine and place in fridge
12/25 - 2am Start smoker
12/25 - 3am place ham (cut side down) and turkey (breast up) on smoker
Smoke Turkey and Ham until they reach 160  (foil wrap and place in cooler until needed)

I figure I will start at 2a on Christmas Day in case it take a little bit longer to get the smoker to temp.  I also plan to use apple and cherry for the smoke.

For the turkey brine I plan on Alton Brown's brine:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Should I use a rub or Alton's aromatic recipe or leave it alone?

For the ham, I plan on using a Honey-Baked Ham recipe I found:

http://www.food.com/recipe/honey-baked-ham-copycat-45896

I have read the forums and posts, but I feel that I still missing something.  I would like everyone's thoughts so I can make this feast the best possible.

Thanks.

The only thing I can say is that I would take the turkey to 165 it. My fourteen pound bird that I did for thanksgiving took 5 hours @ 275! I f your going to be cooking at 250 you will probably be around 6-8 hrs. Good Luck and share your pictures!

The only suggestion I would make is if possible use a fresh, not frozen, bird. I've done both and I do find a better taste with the fresh. Plus the frozen may have  been processed with the "enhanced solution" that adds more salt.

For the turkey, I followed the Alton Brown recipe that is linked above,  follwed by an air dry in the fridge for 24 hours.  I used Jeff's recipe for the garlic/rub butter and placed it under the skin, then sprinkled a little rub on top.

Here it is ready to go into the smoker.

Pleace the bird in the smoker at 5am and used a combo Apple and Cherry chunks.  The bird took just a tocuh over 5 hrs to cook to 165.  It finished just in time as the rain started pouring down just as a pulled it.

Since it was finished early it was wrapped and thrown into a cool until dinner time.

Due to the change in weather and only pre-cooks being available to me I had to do the ham via the oven.  I used the recipe that was above.

10lber going in.

After a 2 hour cook time (witha nice caramelization on it):

Both were excellent, though I was more partial to the ham.  Sorry no other qview as people were taking pieces as they were being cut. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky