Christmas Smoked Prime with Au Jus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Yesterday's big Christmas blow out was another success. I should have taken more photos but Jana and I have so much going on we just get too busy. Maybe next year I'll designate someone else to take some photos. Head count was 16 and we had enough food for 30. Everyone left with gifts, boxes full of leftovers, and really fun memories.

As far as the Prime rib it turned out great. After a LOT of research (probably too much) I took that 16# Prime grade boneless Ribeye from Sam's and trimmed it up taking that fat cap off and removing the suet (new word of the weekend - suet!) With butchers twin I trussed the nicely trimmed meat and seasoned with a layer of Killer Hogs AP rub and I followed that with a light coat of Killer Hogs BBQ rub for color (Thanks to Malcom Reed video.) I decided to then follow along the path of disco disco for a large portion of the cook. Loaded the Yoder with Competition Blend (Hickory, Cherry, Maple) @ 350 deg start to finish. After consulting on broth vs stock with chef jimmyj chef jimmyj I dove into the process for make my first ever Au Jus.

The smells coming out of the Yoder with those veggies in the pan beneath the Prime Rib were unreal. Magical.
I could beat this to death with what I could have done different or what I will change next time but the reality is the meat was absolutely amazing and the Au Jus was just an amazing addition to the meat. I pulled the prime after about 2 1/2 hours and the IT in the middle was about 120 with the outsides @ 135/140. It had to rest almost an hour (always a few running late) but it didn't hurt the final product a bit in my opinion. I just kept it covered until ready to carve and serve. The group consisted of folks who like their meat well done to rare so this roast covered them all and I also ran the Yoder @ 400 with grill grates for those who wanted a little sear on their steak. When I got everyone served and eating I walked in and there was a nice chunk left and the most beautiful 3/4" slice of rare/med rare sitting there calling my name. Covered it in Au Jus and paired it with some really nice scalloped potatoes and a wonderful Mac & Cheese that was the best Mac & Cheese I'd ever had. Can't wait for leftovers tonight.
Thanks for all the help from chef jimmyj chef jimmyj & the website blog from David disco disco as well as the many post I've read from Bearcarver Bearcarver . Here's a couple of pics I did manage to take.

Right after I set in in the smoker - then the magic began to happen........
IMG_4893.jpeg

Those slices got better and better - the middle 3rd was just perfectly rare. About the 1st 2 or 3 slices on the outside were well done.
4846A1C2-0E38-499A-B6A9-3F9F0076F6E5_1_201_a.jpeg

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope y'all have a wonderful 2020!

Looks perfect. I've done a few with bone in on my Mes 40 and it turned our great each time. I've also done boneless top round and it cooks exactly even from one end to the other, which we like.
Thanks for the pics.

Reactions: texomakid
OMG that looks outstanding! Very well done. Points on that cook for sure! I picked up a 17 pounder over the weekend and plan on smoking on Christmas Day. Was contemplating whether I should cut it in half or smoke it whole.

If you didn't have guests that wanted well done, you could have smoked it at 225° and that would have given you more consistent doneness from end-to-end and across each slice. I have a CI griddle heated up if anyone does wants a slice more done than medium rare. One upside is that meat cooked at lower temps will not rise (while resting) as much as meat cooked at higher temperatures. One downside is a 16 # roast would have taken 4 to 4.5 hours at those lower temps.

OMG that looks outstanding! Very well done. Points on that cook for sure! I picked up a 17 pounder over the weekend and plan on smoking on Christmas Day. Was contemplating whether I should cut it in half or smoke it whole.

Once a rib roast is over 11 or 12 pounds, whole ones cook about the same time due to the length/diameter ratio. For example if you had a whole pork loin (16" long) it will cook about the same as an 8" center cut roast. The approximate cook time for 17# rib roast is 4 to 5 hours if you use 225° pit temp. But consider this...., lets say half of your guests want rare, and the rest like medium rare, cutting in half will solve that problem. Also consider that a whole roast will only give you two end cuts, if you suspect three or four guests want end cuts, cut it in half. A typical 7# or 8# rib roast will take 3.5 to 4 hours at low pit temps.

Another way to bring the slice up to desired temp is to put it in a pan of hot au jus. It loses less moisture while firming up the texture.

I think it's eyes that need to be fooled. People see pink and assume it's too rare. When I give a slice a quick sear, one side gets about 15 or 20 seconds, the other side gets 5 seconds. I serve the 15 second side up on the plate, then put just a bit of aujus in the plate to disguise the color of any juices that may come out. Sneaky, but it works.

Looks & Sounds Awesome, Tex!!
Beautiful Job!!
Like.
I always use 220° smoker Temp, because everybody here likes it Pink Med-Rare, but I recommend to those who have a variety of tastes at their Table to use a higher temp on theirs, like yours.
I never know what Temp to suggest, because I never tried it, and my MES Maxes out at 275° anyway, so all I can do is recommend a higher temp than the 220° that I use on mine.

Bear

Last edited:
That looks great. Glad to here you and your guests enjoyed the meat Au Jus...JJ

Thanks everyone. The recipe for chef jimmyj chef jimmyj can be found with the search and I found David's disco disco website for his and they are like many here run very close to the same process. little nip here and a slight tuck there......
This sauce/juice and the process to make it just takes it to another level. Well worth the effort and I'm the do it easy guy. It's just not that difficult.

Here you go...JJ

Smokey Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,
2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

Yesterday's big Christmas blow out was another success. I should have taken more photos but Jana and I have so much going on we just get too busy. Maybe next year I'll designate someone else to take some photos. Head count was 16 and we had enough food for 30. Everyone left with gifts, boxes full of leftovers, and really fun memories.

As far as the Prime rib it turned out great. After a LOT of research (probably too much) I took that 16# Prime grade boneless Ribeye from Sam's and trimmed it up taking that fat cap off and removing the suet (new word of the weekend - suet!) With butchers twin I trussed the nicely trimmed meat and seasoned with a layer of Killer Hogs AP rub and I followed that with a light coat of Killer Hogs BBQ rub for color (Thanks to Malcom Reed video.) I decided to then follow along the path of disco disco for a large portion of the cook. Loaded the Yoder with Competition Blend (Hickory, Cherry, Maple) @ 350 deg start to finish. After consulting on broth vs stock with chef jimmyj chef jimmyj I dove into the process for make my first ever Au Jus.

The smells coming out of the Yoder with those veggies in the pan beneath the Prime Rib were unreal. Magical.
I could beat this to death with what I could have done different or what I will change next time but the reality is the meat was absolutely amazing and the Au Jus was just an amazing addition to the meat. I pulled the prime after about 2 1/2 hours and the IT in the middle was about 120 with the outsides @ 135/140. It had to rest almost an hour (always a few running late) but it didn't hurt the final product a bit in my opinion. I just kept it covered until ready to carve and serve. The group consisted of folks who like their meat well done to rare so this roast covered them all and I also ran the Yoder @ 400 with grill grates for those who wanted a little sear on their steak. When I got everyone served and eating I walked in and there was a nice chunk left and the most beautiful 3/4" slice of rare/med rare sitting there calling my name. Covered it in Au Jus and paired it with some really nice scalloped potatoes and a wonderful Mac & Cheese that was the best Mac & Cheese I'd ever had. Can't wait for leftovers tonight.
Thanks for all the help from chef jimmyj chef jimmyj & the website blog from David disco disco as well as the many post I've read from Bearcarver Bearcarver . Here's a couple of pics I did manage to take.

Right after I set in in the smoker - then the magic began to happen........
View attachment 424895

Those slices got better and better - the middle 3rd was just perfectly rare. About the 1st 2 or 3 slices on the outside were well done.
View attachment 424896

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope y'all have a wonderful 2020!

What a great looking Prime Rib! Big like!

Thanks everyone. The recipe for chef jimmyj chef jimmyj can be found with the search and I found David's disco disco website for his and they are like many here run very close to the same process. little nip here and a slight tuck there......
This sauce/juice and the process to make it just takes it to another level. Well worth the effort and I'm the do it easy guy. It's just not that difficult.
Chef J
It is true that we all stand on the shoulders of others who inspire us. Chef Jimmy J and Bearcarver are heroes of mine and taught me much!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky