Christmas Kraut Ready to go

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I call it Christmas kraut because my friends annually want it for Christmas gifts :) I posted the start of this back in mid November here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/starting-some-kraut.318294/ Tasted last week at 3 weeks and was a bit salty for my taste so let it go another week. So here we go today. First up here is a shot of the kraut in the Korean style plastic ferment pot. As you see it has a built in plunger type inner lid to keep things submerged. It is two piece and the inner circle can be removed easily for tasting the overall lid fits very snugly with a silicon seal.
6C835FA3-EFA1-4FE2-85B4-C9EF3697E194.jpeg
C0ADB429-555A-48CE-9323-323C020CA251.jpeg
Dumped into a huge stainless pan. You can see I had it really pressed in tight as it held shape until I broke it up.
02C338A4-AA49-4070-BEB8-20710FBF2397.jpeg
E6B75B57-7D5A-4BBD-BCA8-31F40D38D978.jpeg
Mixed it up really good and hand packed. Yielded 2 gallons of sauerkraut very tightly packed in the jars so they are covered with a little brine.
C0F5C152-5FFF-454B-970A-FCCFE4E232D8.jpeg
Taste is spot on with maybe a tad bit more forward taste of the caraway. Must have been fresher than last time. Nice and sour with just a hint of salt and very crunchy. I will have some happy friends and family. Thanks for looking. Off to my next two ferment projects. Need to work on my Christmas reaper batch and also a fermented scotch bonnet jerk hot sauce.

💪That’s awesome! I love Kraut, still haven’t made time to do my own, but you have me regretting that choice!!!!

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great Jeff. I'll be trying your recipe next. I was kind of surprised about the lack of brine from my batch. Is that normal? The spicy kraut I have going is producing a lot of brine.

Looks great Jeff. I'll be trying your recipe next. I was kind of surprised about the lack of brine from my batch. Is that normal? The spicy kraut I have going is producing a lot of brine.
Usually have plenty of brine if you salt it enough and work it real good. I have never had to add brine. I’ve heard some end of year cabbages have a little less water content. I have a nice little wooden kraut packer I use to real push it down and get the brine on top too.

Reactions: negolien
Looks great! Not much of a kraut fan myself, but my dad and my oldest granddaughter would love this!!
I like some on hot dogs or brats and love pork and kraut but that’s the extent of it for me. Almost all this will be gifted.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Usually have plenty of brine if you salt it enough and work it real good. I have never had to add brine. I’ve heard some end of year cabbages have a little less water content. I have a nice little wooden kraut packer I use to real push it down and get the brine on top too.
I ended up with about 1/2 quart of brine for using as a starter.

I call it Christmas kraut because my friends annually want it for Christmas gifts :) I posted the start of this back in mid November here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/starting-some-kraut.318294/ Tasted last week at 3 weeks and was a bit salty for my taste so let it go another week. So here we go today. First up here is a shot of the kraut in the Korean style plastic ferment pot. As you see it has a built in plunger type inner lid to keep things submerged. It is two piece and the inner circle can be removed easily for tasting the overall lid fits very snugly with a silicon seal.View attachment 651208View attachment 651209Dumped into a huge stainless pan. You can see I had it really pressed in tight as it held shape until I broke it up.View attachment 651210View attachment 651211Mixed it up really good and hand packed. Yielded 2 gallons of sauerkraut very tightly packed in the jars so they are covered with a little brine. View attachment 651212Taste is spot on with maybe a tad bit more forward taste of the caraway. Must have been fresher than last time. Nice and sour with just a hint of salt and very crunchy. I will have some happy alicia malone friends and family. Thanks for looking. Off to my next two lizzy greene ferment projects. Need to work on my Christmas reaper batch and also a fermented scotch bonnet jerk hot sauce.
I love kraut. Would love to made on my own. hehe

I love kraut. Would love to made on my own. hehe
Kraut is super easy to make. All it takes is some cabbage, salt and a mason jar. There are gadgets that can make it easier like the fermentation pot Jeff has, but its not absolutely necessary. I've made several batches and love to eat it with pretty much everything.

Kraut is super easy to make. All it takes is some cabbage, salt and a mason jar. There are gadgets that can make it easier like the fermentation pot Jeff has, but its not absolutely necessary. I've made several batches and love to eat it with pretty much everything.
My first batches last year were done in half gallon mason jars with airlocks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky