Christmas in August - New Griddle - Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Went to rural king over the weekend to get some ammo and walked down the grilling/smoking section and ran across a camp chef 4 burner griddle on clearance. I have been gunning for one of these for over a year now but could never justify the money since I already have a gas grill and use it 4-5 times a week. Anyways I know this camp chef model goes for $350 online and blackstones are running $250 on the cheap end. I have a camp chef SV24 smoker so I know their products are built with quality. Well I asked the guy how much they wanted for it. Low and behold...$199.00. Just couldn't turn it down at that price. Tossed it in the truck and here we go.
G1.jpg

Went together fairly easy maybe 30 minutes of work. This thing weighs a ton.
G2.jpg

It says the top is pre-seasoned but I wasn't buying that haha. Fired it up got some grapeseed oil and decided to do 5 coats on it.
G3.jpg

After coat number 5 turned it off and let it cool down.
G4.jpg

Initial cook decided to try out smash burgers. I have read several threads and watched some youtube videos so I was fairly comfortable doing it.

80/20 ground chuck in 4 oz balls seasoned with cracked pepper, sea salt, and garlic powder.
G5.jpg

This thing heats up quick. It was up to 500 in a matter of 10 minutes. Threw a little veggie oil and some butter on the top and on go the burgers.
G6.jpg

After a couple minutes I smashed them with a cast iron bacon press and wax paper. Will use gloves and a bigger piece of wax paper next time. That grease and oil spattering up on my hand didn't feel great. But hey nothing a few cold beers cant fix.
G7.jpg

Developed a great crust so flipped them and added some deli American cheese(not the processed kraft singles haha) All in all burgers only took 5 minutes or so.
G8.jpg

Buttered some buns and threw them on next
G9.jpg

Threw some bacon and some onions on prior to the burgers but forgot to get any pics of that.

Plated shot with some curley fries
G10.jpg

This burger was awesome and the flat top rocked it. It sits just perfectly so all of the grease rolls right down to the front and into the grease trap. Clean up was easy with some water and a scraper. Added another coat of oil and enjoyed the burgers. Well worth the money and I cant wait to try out a whole bunch of other things.

If anyone has any flat top recipes or suggestions I'll gladly listen. I see myself using this thing all the time. Thanks for looking!

John

You will love that thing. I have a Blackstone 46”. Love smash burgers, have had several hibachi parties where I played Japanese chef complete with onion volcano :). I can turn out 3 dozen scrambled eggs at a time on top of a couple lbs of chorizo , onions and peppers it’s awesome

I have a griddle attachment for my stove and made smash burgers before. And it works good. But your rig there is nice! One of these days.....

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Nice score John!!

I’ve always wanted a flat top griddle...mainly to cook breakfast and smash burgers.

In the winter, I’ll use my cast iron pans on my cheap-ass charbroil grill. But it’s a pain because of the hot/cold spots and trying to flip things like scrapple and fish without breaking.

I’m hoping to convince the wife that I need a pellet grill and griddle to replace our charcoal grill after it rusts out...again.

You will love that thing. I have a Blackstone 46”. Love smash burgers, have had several hibachi parties where I played Japanese chef complete with onion volcano :). I can turn out 3 dozen scrambled eggs at a time on top of a couple lbs of chorizo , onions and peppers it’s awesome

I am wanting to do hibachi on it next. Been sitting at work and watching youtube videos of griddle cooks...im sure my boss is thrilled lol

One of these days.

I have a griddle attachment for my stove and made smash burgers before. And it works good. But your rig there is nice! One of these days.....

I would highly recommend! Start checking wal-mart and some of the other stores. Most of them are closing outdoor stuff out now to make room for holiday stuff

Very nice Score! Congrats!
Next up should be a Ribeye Cheesesteak Party!

Cheesesteaks are def on the menu one of these nights. Cant wait to do peppers and onions. My neighbors all seem to swing by to so hi and have a cold one when they smell the smoke rolling...when they smell the stuff coming off the griddle I don't know whats going to happen!

Reactions: chilerelleno
Nice score John!!

I’ve always wanted a flat top griddle...mainly to cook breakfast and smash burgers.

In the winter, I’ll use my cast iron pans on my cheap-ass charbroil grill. But it’s a pain because of the hot/cold spots and trying to flip things like scrapple and fish without breaking.

I’m hoping to convince the wife that I need a pellet grill and griddle to replace our charcoal grill after it rusts out...again.

Thanks Joe. I've been doing the same thing with using cast iron on my gas grill. Pain in the ass. This thing cooked so quick and evenly it was amazing. First breakfast cook is coming up on Saturday morning...that is if I cant convince the family to have breakfast for dinner one night before that!

Pellet grill and a griddle sounds like a pretty good combo. Wife said since I got this she wants a new vacuum and they aren't cheap. I said we have 2 vacuums and they work just fine. She said you have 2 smokers and a gas grill before you bought that and they worked just fine. Touché...guess I'm saving for a dyson now

Reactions: xray
Nice . You're gonna love that . I bought the 28 " Blackstone 2 or 3 years ago for $ 99.00 at Walmart . They make great burgers , breakfast and all sorts of stuff .

Your burger looks fantastic . Frying up some bacon really gets them seasoned .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky