Christmas help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brandon29

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Traverse city Michigan
I just got the news that I have prepare Christmas dinner for my girfriend family plan on smoking a 10 pound ham and doing some potatoes I am looking for some other ideas for dishes to wow them any ideas are welcome can't be anything spicy they don't have much tolerance for heat

Smoked deviled eggs. If you have an amnts or amnps, boil and peel. Cold smoke for 1 1/2 hr. My brother has cooked them in the shell @ 200* for a couple hrs. Not as much smoke flavor, but if cooked to long can become rubbery.

Smoked Mac and Cheese.  Smoked Baked Beans.  Or non-smoked.  I have just seen the smoked versions, and want to try them myself.  If you have the smoker going anyway....

Thanks I am going to try baked beans also some abt showing to do a small brisket as well this is the first time cooking for a holiday just hoping to not screw it all up after all not a lot of pizza places open on that day

Thanks I am going to try baked beans also some abt showing to do a small brisket as well this is the first time cooking for a holiday just hoping to not screw it all up after all not a lot of pizza places open on that day
Good luck with the ABT not being spicy

Richie

Not sure how you feel about veggies, but sautéed Brussels sprouts in bacon fat are always a crowd pleaser.
Just clean and cut the sprouts in half through the stem (lengthwise). Then cut about a half pound of bacon into half inch pieces and fry until crisp. Remove the bacon bits and leave the fat. Then arrange the sprouts, cut side down in the pan. It's easier if you kill the heat and let the fat cool. Add enough chicken stock to come up about 1/4" in the pan. Turn the heat to high, bring to a boil, then cover the pan and reduce to low. Let it go for 8-10 minutes. Then remove the lid, crank it back up to high and let the liquid cook off. Once the sound changes from a bubbling to sizzling, reduce heat to medium and let it go 4-5 minutes or until it starts to smell nutty. You'll notice the smell. Then just toss them a couple times and you're done. Toss the sprouts with the reserved bacon bits and serve. You'll have perfectly tender sprouts with a wonderfully caramelized cut side. And they don't taste at all like the mushy, nasty Brussels sprouts we were subjected to as kids.

Moink Balls would be good and are easy;
http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/06/bbq-moink-balls/
You can control the amount of spice according to what rub you put on, we like to use Butcher's Honey or JPCustom Smoke Sweet Heat, then once they are cooked use a sauce bottle to apply sauce and let it caramelize on the grill.

An option for the taters would be Funeral Potatoes:
http://www.food.com/recipe/funeral-potatoes-55389
We don't use the cornflakes, but otherwise this looks pretty close to what we do.

Last edited:
Stuffed mushrooms. Stuff with cream cheese or blue cheese with sausage. Little or alot of garlic.:biggrin: Smoke for 2 hrs
Smoked onion. Cut like your making a blooming onion. Core a small spot on top for some butter and sprinkle with your favorite rub.
:drool

Just a suggestion from many years of restaurants and catering. Unless these In-Laws are Hardcore into Smoked foods, mix it up! To many smoked items can get old for the average people real quick. Make no more than 2 smoked items and they will be better as separate courses, like an App and then the Entree Meat..JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky