Christmas Hams Surprise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
It’s time for the hams I’ve been brining in a bucket of Pop’s for 2 weeks to be smoked. Being old has its disadvantages but sometimes it’s a blessing, too. I forgot I put a slab of pork belly in the bottom of my Briner Bucket. That was the surprise. I coated it with some Rob’s Chipotle, which is made here in Northern California, and lit the smoke tube. I’ll keep it at a low 150 for a bit and let it all soak in that almond/cherry smoke and then bump it up. My neighbors get to endure the tasty smells for the day. A2460A5A-4CB1-40E9-BAC9-932DDFA9458D.jpeg

Boy howdy those hams look great Sven! I haven't brined my own hams since we moved here from CA a few years ago. I'd have to use a 165 quart cooler and change the ice every other day, just not cost effective here. ray

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Bet they gonna be good. I cured a pork butt last month and was planning on smoking it but they have great sales on Cook's hams so rather than thaw butt going to just do one of those.

So the other surprise is that the guy I was going to give the bacon to, in a couple days, just showed up at my door with his amazing pear tart. That’s fresh pears soaked in wine and baked into an almond crust. So I gave him his bacon but forgot to take a picture of it. Oops. So, here’s the hams with a couple of chicken breasts just because, why not if the smoker’s hot?

Both hams now go into a Sous vide bath at 140 for 4 hours to pasteurize. I don’t like taking hams over 140 because I don’t like them dried out. At 140 they’re perfect. One I’ll be giving to a colleague and the other will be our Christmas ham. I’ll post pictures of that right here on that magical night along with the Swedish meatballs, potatis korv, and my homemade lefse. D232939B-124B-4252-9E89-8B301E99611E.jpeg
Oops, forgot the bacon.

174C80EE-6D63-4E84-8E8F-7ACC1B2CB518.jpeg
A slab of bacon in exchange for a pear tart. I think I scored. This tart is amazing.

Your Christmas supper sounds amazing. Nice trade for the bacon , a drunk pear tart. :emoji_thumbsup:

I am just doing up a ham and a turkey and all the regular fixins.
But we make enough stuffing to choke a horse, as we love our turkey and stuffing sandwiches

David

E1606D06-8314-45EA-AB54-61B4AF8477D9.jpeg
Probably one of the best hams I’ve ever made. Super crazy moist. Pop’s brine is foolproof. But it’s the Sous vide 6 hour bath after smoking that does the trick.

84165DEE-B606-4629-8991-7E5E82944D4A.jpeg
Also in our little smorgasbord are my wife’s killer Swedish meatballs and freaking amazing potato sausage that was unbelievably tender.

FDE62C09-965B-45B5-A3E0-2A230F7AC42A.jpeg
I woke up at 4 am and started this triple-rise Limpa bread. We topped it with a compound butter made from blood orange zest, from our tree, and freshly grated nutmeg. Heavens, it was tasty.

CF1D5266-486B-4CEF-A3C3-6EBB0ACE19A3.jpeg
And just to round it all out I made Jansson’s Temptation, rice pudding, and some lefse with lingonberries. There’s nowhere to get all these Scandinavian goodies here in Sonoma County so it’s all homemade. Uffda!

View attachment 652409
Probably one of the best hams I’ve ever made. Super crazy moist. Pop’s brine is foolproof. But it’s the Sous vide 6 hour bath after smoking that does the trick.

View attachment 652410
Also in our little smorgasbord are my wife’s killer Swedish meatballs and freaking amazing potato sausage that was unbelievably tender.

View attachment 652411
I woke up at 4 am and started this triple-rise Limpa bread. We topped it with a compound butter made from blood orange zest, from our tree, and freshly grated nutmeg. Heavens, it was tasty.

View attachment 652412
And just to round it all out I made Jansson’s Temptation, rice pudding, and some lefse with lingonberries. There’s nowhere to get all these Scandinavian goodies here in Sonoma County so it’s all homemade. Uffda!
Wow! That whole meal looks incredible!!!! You guys went all out and it looks beautiful!

WOW!! Don't know that I have ever seen such a terrific looking ham. The whole platter of food is just spectacular. Beautiful job and congrats on a magnificent meal. I am in awe!!

Robert

What a spread. Food coma worthy meal
Oh the ham.
I periodically make loin ham and it was game changing after learning the pasteurization method from daveomak daveomak to retain moisture.

I'm mostly Norsk, but a couple items are new to me.
Never heard of limpa bread. We had rye bread or Julekake (ok not the same).
Jansson's Temptation we just called scalloped potatoes.

No lutefisk? That was a staple in our house for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.
Me neither! Cannot stand the stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky