Christmas 2019 Whole Hog Smoke on Cinder Block Pit - QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Damn...just DAMN!! That was a heck of a lot of work but the end result has pretty much left me speechless. Simply an amazing and epic cook that's very deserving of the carousel ride.

LIKE!!
Robert

Reactions: scvinegarpepper
NICE JOB!

LOL No need to apologize about the oak. :emoji_laughing: Oak is by far my fave. Doesn't sound sexy like pecan or peach but it just works.

A long time ago my uncle did a few whole hogs over the years and he and my cousins had no clue and was leery of it a long time. Parts undone soaked in beer and nasty smoke flavor, you get the idea. Fast forward a bit to my band days. I did a charitable gig for a biker memorial and they had a whole hog. People kept telling me to try it and I finally did... It was INCREDIBLE. I always wanted to learn how to emulate it and finally have with the help of folks here.

Last edited:
That looks fabulous!!! Nice write-up as well. I've been to two whole hog cooks and had to leave both before the meat was served. I'm hoping not to strike out on the next one.

Point for sure
Chris

scvinegarpepper,
Looks awesome and thanks for sharing. My friends and I have done 4 pigs in the past 4yrs and 3 are just like you did with the barrel and primarily oak. It is a ton of work but boy is it so worth it, especially when you get to see how much everyone enjoys it.

I agree with Derek717, legendary post! I think it was the last straw and I'm finally going to pull the trigger using your post. Although I'll be injecting and rubbing like a madman because I like to overthink it, lol

I agree with Derek717, legendary post! I think it was the last straw and I'm finally going to pull the trigger using your post. Although I'll be injecting and rubbing like a madman because I like to overthink it, lol
Nothing wrong with that at all! I can identify as I like to overbuild and over-engineer everything I possibly can.

What a post! Very informative and descriptive! Not sure I am handy enough to do one like this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky