Chorizo Help Needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cmeyers

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 19, 2020
Hi all, though I don't post often, have several years smoking, learning and trying new things. I have to admit, I have tried so many recipes for Chorizo and gave up for a while because I love the taste of store bought, but make all my own sausages and want to keep it that way. Any good recipes for Mexican chorizo would be appreciated.

Chorizo, that is a subjective topic. Many flavors can and are involved. You have to discover first which flavors you like and which you don’t. Chorizo is tangy and spicy. What do you like for tang, and how much. What do you like for spicy, and how much. The basic recipe for any sausage is salt and spice. Figure out what you like, and make that.
Chorizo in Spanish translation is “sausage “.

My preference is the Spanish flavor profile of chorizo. Salt, pepper, garlic and Chile powder. I add lime juice or vinegar as a finish, because I like it that way better.

Most chorizo recipes are of Mexican origin. These have the tang built into them (lime juice). I don’t care as much for these. I’d rather add that later, this gives a totally different flavor profile.

Chorizo, that is a subjective topic. Many flavors can and are involved. You have to discover first which flavors you like and which you don’t. Chorizo is tangy and spicy. What do you like for tang, and how much. What do you like for spicy, and how much. The basic recipe for any sausage is salt and spice. Figure out what you like, and make that.
Chorizo in Spanish translation is “sausage “.

My preference is the Spanish flavor profile of chorizo. Salt, pepper, garlic and Chile powder. I add lime juice or vinegar as a finish, because I like it that way better.

Most chorizo recipes are of Mexican origin. These have the tang built into them (lime juice). I don’t care as much for these. I’d rather add that later, this gives a totally different flavor profile.
Smoking,
I appreciate the thoroughness of your response. In many of the Mexican recipes I have made, vinegar was added and each time was one ingredient I did not care for as it imparted a taste that I just didn't care for. I have used Guajillo and Anaheim peppers, Mexican oregano, garlic, onion powder. I like the thought of the lime juice, a tang that I feel won't be as pungent as vinegar.
I think with this in mind, it is perhaps time to make the trip to buy some of the chorizo I enjoy and actually figure out what flavors I'm enjoying from that store bought stuff I like. There is one from a local butcher they sell and not always availablethat I prefer, as it is more of a very coarse grind, versus the stuff in a tube like that cooks more like a finer pate consistency. Mind sharing your process and recipe? Especially interested in timing to add the lime juice.
I will limit myself to making 2lb batches until I figure this out I think.

I would be interested also. I buy the Spanish chorizo at local costco that I really like but for the life of me can't get the ingredients right. Not even close lol! Almost gave up so if I want some just buy some.

I would be interested also. I buy the Spanish chorizo at local costco that I really like but for the life of me can't get the ingredients right. Not even close lol! Almost gave up so if I want some just buy some.
I feel your pain, that is why I'm finally reaching out. I make all my own sausage of every kind, but this one has kicked my butt. I have tried so many and every time disappointed. I am going to try the one that was posted above from celebrate sausage series. Allowing it to ferment might be the secret I'm missing. For me, all the recipes that call for vinegar, seem to overwhelm all the other flavors and I end up trying again.

I feel your pain, that is why I'm finally reaching out. I make all my own sausage of every kind, but this one has kicked my butt. I have tried so many and every time disappointed. I am going to try the one that was posted above from celebrate sausage series. Allowing it to ferment might be the secret I'm missing. For me, all the recipes that call for vinegar, seem to overwhelm all the other flavors and I end up trying again.
Are you looking for a fresh sausage recipe or semi dry recipe? And is it Spanish or Mexican that you like?

Are you looking for a fresh sausage recipe or semi dry recipe? And is it Spanish or Mexican that you like?
Mexican Chorizo is what I have been making, well attempting. Spanish Chorizo, as I understand is a semi-hard to hard fermented sausage. Fresh sausage is what i plan to maje, although once I find a version I like, I will add #1 Prague powder to cold smoke some as well.

Mexican Chorizo is what I have been making, well attempting. Spanish Chorizo, as I understand is a semi-hard to hard fermented sausage. Fresh sausage is what i plan to maje, although once I find a version I like, I will add #1 Prague powder to cold smoke some as well.

Mexican Corizo:

Pork butt (shoulder) 1000g
Salt) 18g
Black pepper) 2.0g
Sweet paprika) 4.0g
Cayenne pepper) 2.0g
Oregano) 2.0g
Fresh garlic) 7.0g
White vinegar)50ml
Cold water) 50ml

Grind meat through 3/8 plate.
Mix meat, all ingredients, vinegar and water together.
Stuff into 32-36mm hog casings and make 8” long links.
Refrigerate, and cook before serving.

Chorizo Spanish Fresh:
Pork shoulder) 1000g
Salt) 18g
Pimenton, sweet) 10g
Pimenton, hot) 5g
Oregano) 2g
Fresh garlic) 3g
White wine, dry) 60ml

Grind pork through 3/8” plate.
Combine spices with wine.
Mix meat with all ingredients.
Stuff into 36mm hog casings and form 6” links.
Refrigerate.
Cook before serving.

These recipes are from Marianski, and are good ones for fresh chorizo.

Mexican Corizo:

Pork butt (shoulder) 1000g
Salt) 18g
Black pepper) 2.0g
Sweet paprika) 4.0g
Cayenne pepper) 2.0g
Oregano) 2.0g
Fresh garlic) 7.0g
White vinegar)50ml
Cold water) 50ml

Grind meat through 3/8 plate.
Mix meat, all ingredients, vinegar and water together.
Stuff into 32-36mm hog casings and make 8” long links.
Refrigerate, and cook before serving.

Chorizo Spanish Fresh:
Pork shoulder) 1000g
Salt) 18g
Pimenton, sweet) 10g
Pimenton, hot) 5g
Oregano) 2g
Fresh garlic) 3g
White wine, dry) 60ml

Grind pork through 3/8” plate.
Combine spices with wine.
Mix meat with all ingredients.
Stuff into 36mm hog casings and form 6” links.
Refrigerate.
Cook before serving.

These recipes are from Marianski, and are good ones for fresh chorizo.
Thank you,
I really appreciate and will follow up when I make it. Do you use Mexican oregano? I know most recipes call for it, or do you use what I would call regular oregano?

Thank you,
I really appreciate and will follow up when I make it. Do you use Mexican oregano? I know most recipes call for it, or do you use what I would call regular oregano?
Mexican oregano is best. Different flavor profile and is better for all dishes or products that are not Italian.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Reactions: jcam222
indaswamp indaswamp Is there somewhere that he posts the exact recipe? I. Very interested in making a 5 lbs batch and then likely 25 lbs once honed in.
Sure Jcam222....if you watch the video on youtube, the recipe link is in the footer notes; as are all the recipes he makes on his videos. I see DougE has posted the link...

Reactions: jcam222 and DougE
Reactions: DougE
jcam222 jcam222 Just a heads up that I made the Marianski which I think is the first one in post 11 and it was tasty but tried it again subbed NM Red chile for the paprika/cayene and was floored how well it improved. I think i added some msg too and basically considrered it perfect to my tastes.

jcam222 jcam222 Just a heads up that I made the Marianski which I think is the first one in post 11 and it was tasty but tried it again subbed NM Red chile for the paprika/cayene and was floored how well it improved. I think i added some msg too and basically considrered it perfect to my tastes.
I saw that in one of your posts. Where did you order the NM red Chile

Reactions: zwiller
Here is a Colombian fresh chorizo recipe that I have not made but its on my list this fall. To this I would add NM red Chile specifically Chimayo and some guajillo.

Chorizo Criollo Colombiano:

Beef) 400g
Lean pork) 400g
Back fat or pork belly) 200g

Salt) 18g
Pepper) 2g
Chopped onion) 30g
Oregano rubbed) 1g
Bay leaf crushed) 1
Nutmeg) 1g
Crushed garlic) 7g
Fresh lime juice) 30ml
Dry red wine) 15ml
Ice water) 30ml

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky