Choke Cherry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crutch58

Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Loveland Colorado
I have alot of choke cherry bushes where I live and I was wondering if it was good to smoke with. I wanted to ask if any of you guys have used it and if you have what you think of it.

Crutch, Check out the Sticky in this forum "Woods for Smoking". It states that choke cherry wood can produce a bitter smoke. If you want to try it use it on some meat that you didn't pay an arm and a leg for. Maybe try a whole chicken when you find one on sale.

Thanks Dutch,
That's good to know. If it's bitter I think I'll just pass on it, I've messed up enough good meat as it is.
Crutch

I have uised choke cherry on hamburgers and chicken with good results. What we call choke cherry is a tree, not a bush. Is there a difference .

Yes, there is a choke cherry bush and a choke cherry tree. The tree is dandy for smoking.

I'm sure those that say the bush is no good for cooking are right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky